1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No more History Pilot :(

Discussion in 'History' started by jensamoo, May 4, 2011.

1. Just had a letter from OCR to say they are getting rid of the History Pilot course which we teach. I am so gutted as the students really enjoyed it and I have produced so many resources to go with it!
    Wondered how others felt when they found out about this?

2. Just had a letter from OCR to say they are getting rid of the History Pilot course which we teach. I am so gutted as the students really enjoyed it and I have produced so many resources to go with it!
    Wondered how others felt when they found out about this?

3. Really that's terrible! I love the pilot...must check with exams office to see if they've had the letter...does it say why?

4. Yes -am another disappointed HoD. Have worked hard for nearly three years in partnership with another local school planning SoW for the Pilot and feel like all the work is now wasted, It has been especially useful to us as take-up at GCSE has doubled since it's introduction!

5. What a mistake! My (LA) daughter did this course and absolutely loved it. In addition to History, her English improved immensely and she learned the discipline of tons of study work. She even sold it to my son 'You just have to do History, it's awesome'. I don't think her end grade was any different than she would have likely to have scored under a traditional syllabus but she would never have picked to do History if faced with a traditional course.
    I am very,very sorry to read this. Did the HA students find the transfer to A level too vast, or something?

6. Sorry, I meant to add, the Governments mess around with Diplomas and the like when a modern take on a traditional subject is all that is needed to appeal to a cross section of ability students. Then they can all leave with a well-rounded education (at whatever level they achieve).

7. Ours actually found some aspects of A Level easier such as extended writing and reading and quite easily coped in a class with those who had done Modern World. Some numpty in the DfE who knows nothing about history teaching has suddenly read the piece of paper which says it is 75% internally assessed and panicked therefore they have just cancelled it, whereas Gove would actually like the fact it included proper extended writing and Medieval History. Basically, they are IDIOTS!

8. Do you have anywhere to write to in order to make representations?
    I ask because we do in our trade when Governments make bad decisions related to our work. If there is I would like to make a representation as a parent (and Governor).

9. There are a group of us who are trying to find out but it is quite complex. I have written to our local MP as have a few others...a question was asked in parliament last week about whether there had been due diligence when scrapping it. Also I think letters to OCR (the exam board) and OFQUAL who are ultimately in charge of qualifications might be useful but who knows...I'm really glad your children enjoyed it so much though :)

10. Thank you I will. My son has missed out (year 9 opted and told he cannot now do this syllabus) whereas slightly older daughter - year 11 has just finished. I will write from a parental viewpoint.