1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No more culture of waste

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by sbkrobson, Feb 1, 2020.

1. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Does anybody on here make their own yoghurt?
    We are missing out on yoghurt because of our refusal to buy something with such a high ratio of wasteful and unethical packaging to actual product. You can buy yoghurt in glass, which is no doubt a more sustainable option, but the quantity to the price you pay is too much for the pocket.
    So I'd like to make my own, and lots of it. We love it, although sadly we don't eat it much.
    There is no end of information online, but I'd love to hear something more personalised. Pros and cons of yoghurt production in the home. Yoghurty anecdotes.
    And the best way to flavour it, obviously!

2. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

When I first started making yoghurt, I bought an Easy Yo yoghurt maker and tried various of their brand of yoghurt sachets. The yoghurt maker worked well but the sachets were quite expensive and weren't very nice.

Now I use a different brand of yoghurt starter sachet (link below) with 1 litre of milk and it makes good thick, tasty yoghurt remarkably quickly. The instructions come with it and it's really simple to make. For your first batch, add the sachet and 1 litre milk to the container, stir and put it in your yoghurt maker for a few hours then test a spoonful to see how thick it is. If it's not thick enough, put the container back in the yoghurt maker (you may need to add a little more hot water to the yoghurt maker to bring the temperature back up to warm enough. Then put the yoghurt into the fridge. It'll store for a few days (not sure how long as we consume it quicker than that).

When you've used up all but the bottom 2 or 3cm of the yoghurt in the container, use it as a starter for the next batch by adding more milk to top the container up to 1 litre and put it back in the yoghurt maker. This and subsequent batches will be quicker to thicken than the first batch (which was a bit too runny for my liking). One sachet of starter yoghurt powder can be used to make multple batches of yoghurt so it works out very cheap (barely more than the cost of the milk). We only needed to use our second sachet of starter culture when we'd been away on holiday for a couple of weeks and had to start a new culture when we came back. The company that makes the starter culture makes various different ones (with different bacteria in) which I intend to try at some point but I'm quite happy with the culture we've got at the moment.

If I want to flavour mine, I add some frozen berries or dribble a bit of honey over the top.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Starter-Cu...25YWTSBWQ83&psc=1&refRID=X35JDSH2E25YWTSBWQ83

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EasiYo-126...words=easy+yo&qid=1580564856&s=grocery&sr=1-4

sbkrobson likes this.
  3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I've never made it but I gather it's very easy. @BelleDuJour makes it from time to time, I think.

4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Thanks for all the detail @bonxie , really useful to read, inspired!

Has anyone tried using actual commercial yoghurt as a starter? Is it better to use the starter sachets?

5. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

If you get a plain, live yoghurt and then follow the procedure above it should work fine.

sbkrobson likes this.
  6. will_osweighton

will_osweighton Occasional commenter

I just use a small carton of live yogurt to start it off. No yogurt maker. I can either warm it in the oven or wrap it in a towel. It's best with rich creamy jersey or Guernsey milk.

sbkrobson likes this.
  7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I do. I make it all the time.
    I hate waste packaging in anything.

sbkrobson likes this.
  8. BelleDuJour

I don't flavour it. i just top with fresh fruit, nuts, flax seed and occasionally honey.
    I find once you start eating natural yoghurt, the flavoured ones become just too sweet.
    I avoid fruit flavoured yoghurt nowadays.................maybe just a hazelnut yoghurt very occasionally.

sbkrobson likes this.
  9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

How do you make it,Belle?

10. BelleDuJour

I use a starter culture like the one in the link above, and use my Easiyo.
    I then use the yoghurt as the next starter.

catmother likes this.