1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No more allotment

Discussion in 'Personal' started by NellyFUF, Jan 13, 2012.

1. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

I have to leave my allotments. This is really sad because I was the most active person on this parcticular bit of land.
    Although I do not live in the council area I do live 20 mins or less away and I was the most active person in what is a derelict patch.
    I hope the next tenant keeps up to my standard of work.

2. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

I have to leave my allotments. This is really sad because I was the most active person on this parcticular bit of land.
    Although I do not live in the council area I do live 20 mins or less away and I was the most active person in what is a derelict patch.
    I hope the next tenant keeps up to my standard of work.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

What possible reason have they given you?

4. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

I do not live in their authority area.The allotments are only for Bradford people.

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

That's sad but, to be honest, it sounded like a really scary place. I don't think I would have dared to go there on my own. Did you decide to buy the bungalow with the land around it?

6. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

I love my allotment which is in fact a share of a kind ladies ( the bottom half).I have no garden only a little yard ,so the allotment is my life line to growing lovely veg and flowers and fun for me and my grandson on a sunday.
    I feel for you...is there any chance of sharing a plot (unofficially if there is no money changing hands...we do repairs on the ladies shed by way of 'payment')

7. :-(
    (((Nelly)))

8. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

It is sad. I was crying last night when I heard from my daughter that it is gone....it was hers really because she lived in Bradford - the Bradford house was only sold in November but they must have tracked it all down and found she now lives in Leeds.
    If they put as much energy into cleaning and sorting out the allotments then that would be better use of council time.
    There are only around 12 allotments in any kind of cultivation. Many of the plots are rented but no one works on them so they just get worse and worse.
    I think I should have some kind of Civic award for just working so hard, little old lady me, on three of the plots to make them viable.It is just bizarre to chuck off the keenest gardener. And I spent two mornings helping to clear the footpaths and roadways, shifting rubbish and old carpets.
    The ungrateful wretches.
    I am off the see the bungalow again and maybe will buy it if it has not collapsed into a mine shaft or floated away on the high water table, or crumbled into dust. The survey was abysmal but it would make a grand shed for a keen allotment gardener! It may be glowing today in the light of the Radon gas which is apparently a problem in the area. Who knows? If there are no drug addicts sleeping in the outhouses and no drug dealers on the phone in the lane, how will I feel at home?The good thing about Bradford is it always smells fantastic, like a huge savoury spicy barbecue.

9. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Really sorry to hear that Nelly. I guess they have to have their rules but what a shame. I think you need that bungalow with a garden.

10. I reckon it is time to involve the press [​IMG]

11. Oh nelly!!!
    Look, radon gas is not the end of the world. My sister had her house done a few years ago in Cornwall and it cost about £3000 to 'mitigate'. One reason she could afford the house was it's price sank when the radon was found. Now all is well!
    If the bungalow is Ok otherwise go for it! And I sahll come visit and sulk [​IMG]

12. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

OK now, feeling better.
    Bungalow is much nicer than we remembered and has a lovely garden, loads of it. Loads and loads. And a garage and an outbuilding that would be great for storing teaching rubbish in. And a room in the attic that we did not know about. And a conservatory which is lovely. Two conservatories. And a green house. And a shed. And a pond. And trees. And wild bits. And bulbs coming up. And compost heaps. And moss. And beds. And borders. And holly. And silver birch. And I can't believe what is happening. It seems to be too good to be true. And an apple tree with sweet apples. And trellises. And privet. And laurel. And open fireplaces. Sure it is damp because houses tend to be damp. We live in a damp old house anyway. I like damp. And spiders and things like that. Part teacher, part witch.
    Perhaps I have died and gone to heaven. If you are coming round to sulk Pobble, bring a spade, or better a Chillington Hoe and some secateurs. A few packets of seeds. Green beans all round and fingers crossed it all goes through.
    We'll have no money but that is how we started out and tis surely the best way to go.

13. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

It sounds lovely - go for it!

Once you get some fires going in the open fireplaces or get a woodburner fitted the damp should go.

14. Nelly, you never fail to make me smile. :)
    You go, girl!

15. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

NellyFUF, go for the bungalow. Sounds idyllic. Snap it up before someone else does.As said woodburning stove or AGA would help sort the damp problem.

16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

sounds ideal for your own allotment site.maybe youocan rent /share it out with others in the area who have no land...think of the joys of sharing.
    maybe i can come and bring my spade lol

17. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Oh Nellie that sounds quite idyllic and much better then an old allotment. How glorious. I want one now.

18. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

the bungalow and garden sounds fantastic and makes me want to retire now!