1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No mixing of households ...

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Jazzz, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Jazzz

Jazzz New commenter

So NS has decided no households can mix. Yet teachers mix with tens/hundreds of households every day!

I can go to work but I can’t visit my family.

What utter craziness.

xmal, Marisha, PamDemic and 2 others like this.
  2. bonxie

bonxie Lead commenter

Yes, we have to mix with loads of people at school all day and that's deemed OK, but we can't then go round to the house of a member of our own family after school. We can however meet up with them indoors so long as we meet in a place with a till. So mixing with dozens in pubs, cafes and restaurants is fine but mixing with one or two in our/their own home is not.

3. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

Yes the rules are mad, but what else should be done?

Shutting the schools isn't going to happen
    Shutting workplaces isn't going to happen either

The government really needs to extend the furlough scheme for the hospitality sector. Then they can shut pubs and restaurants and take these anomalies out. Covid is going to cost a fortune anyway, what's another few months for a couple of million or so workers?

We could always get rid of the white elephant train link between London and Birmingham and spend money on those who really need it instead.

PamDemic likes this.
  4. Jazzz

Jazzz New commenter

If the Scottish govt deem this virus so dangerous that families shouldn’t mix then something should be done regards schools.

I don’t have the answers to how schools become safer. Perhaps we should have given the blended learning approach a try but then parents might not be able to work. Maybe we should all be wearing masks. Maybe perspex screens should be installed. Finding solutions isn’t easy but just carrying on as usual surely isn’t safe.

Marisha, PamDemic, bonxie and 2 others like this.
  5. Effinbankers

It doesn't seem to be ripping through the schools as we had probably all imagined it would. Don't get me wrong, it's there and your concerns are valid, but I thought we'd see a lot more schools shut and pupils sent up the road, than is happening at present. Maybe it might happen when the colder months set in?

On a tangent, I'm quite enjoying teaching in this situation. I don't have to entertain any of the BS regarding groupwork or co-operative learning. Kids sit well away from me, in rows, whilst I might occasionally use my board to explain things. I've also no kids gathering round my desk looking to be babied

Jinxie15 and bigjimmy2 like this.
  6. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

I laughed when I heard Arlene Foster on the radio saying there was to be no mixing of households in Northern Ireland. Thought that had been going on there for a few hundred years!

singsong and MilkyBar Kid like this.
  7. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

The level of spread in schools is probably containable if transmission elsewhere is suppressed. It's ultimately irrelevant whether schools are more dangerous than folk in each other's homes if banning the latter is sufficient to bring R back below 1. Whether that is true remains to be seen. I get why it seems bizarre but the idea seems sound. The worry is that folk will make their own decisions based on relative risk because it seems so back ass-wards.

Effinbankers likes this.
  8. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Would Perspex help in a classroom? It would maybe help with spitting, but given that you're crowded into a room with the airborne droplets circulating, I'm not sure how much it would help. I know shops have it, but they tend to have more space per person, and people don't tend to spend all day in the shops as school children/workers do.
    Masks are said to be less effective when worn all day, especially given what some children will do with them! Also, unless they're clear, they'll make lives a misery for children with certain medical conditions or SEND.
    As most parents have been asked to wfh, most older students should be able to work online. In my area anyway, there seem to be relatively few students who don't have at least one parent who either doesn't work FT, if at all, or couldn't wfh. This would mean schools could open only for those whose parents/grandparents etc need to work FT out of the home, and for the 'vulnerable'. That's not perfect, but would at least be relatively safe.

9. Effinbankers

You'd still end up having to teach classes and then put work online for those at home. Doing the same job twice.

Blended learning got binned so this would mean you'd end up working harder. Shove that.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  10. autoq

autoq New commenter

I'm afraid that the brutal reality is that a half-baked lockdown is utterly pointless. At best you suppress it for a wee while, but then it will carry on. This has always been the case. It should have been a proper shutdown back in April. Army on the streets. Noone going anywhere for 4-6 weeks (except for truly obvious critical situations/workers). All borders closed. Then you might, just might, have contained it. As it is, all it did was keep it under wraps . To protect the NHS when the NHS actually didn't need as much protection as it does now/will need in Winter.
    The only way forward is for every other business to do as we have been doing and go back to near-normal. We need to do our utmost (personally) to try to keep individuals and communities safe ie. hand wash , face masks in stores ,etc. But all the quarantine/lockdown daftness needs to stop.
    Just so you know where I stand. I am , and always have been of the opinion that , in the long run , Sweden had the right sort of idea (but they made a mistake in not protecting certain groups better). No, I am not talking about Abba.
    https://www.ft.com/content/9a1e118f-a4ef-43ab-a981-58b8bd35c0e1

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  11. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

I often wonder who will be judged to have got it "right" in five years time.

Missplus, Marisha and PamDemic like this.
  12. Marisha

Marisha Established commenter

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  13. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

bigjimmy2, Marisha and MilkyBar Kid like this.
  14. inthered

inthered Occasional commenter

To be fair, they tried pushing that narrative at first but have stopped now. BBC Scotland shut down their list of schools affected by Corona on 4 September - the list was getting pretty long. I expect that’s partly why, plus it induces fear.

bigjimmy2 and Marisha like this.
  15. moscowbore

Or another perspective is that depriving the public of that knowledge deliberately induces a false sense of security.

I am genuinely interested to find out how much the government controls the media where it comes to covid19. It cannot be a coincidence that all of the major media outlets seem to be watering down the picture of infection in schools.

xmal, inthered, PamDemic and 2 others like this.
  16. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any means, but I wonder what the government knows that it's choosing not to tell us.

MilkyBar Kid, PamDemic and sicilypat like this.
  17. Marisha

PamDemic and bigjimmy2 like this.
  18. moscowbore

I quote from the article.

He added: “While there is no evidence of widespread transmission of the virus between pupils within the school, there is now evidence of some staff-to-pupil transmission within some classes, and a further three classes have been asked to self-isolate today.

Do they take us for idiots? Who is dictating what appears in the media?

The school has been shut, closed. And STILL they insist that no teacher has been infected by a pupil. Insulting.

PamDemic and Marisha like this.
  19. Jazzz

Jazzz New commenter

Anyone looked at the graphs sent by the EIS regarding positive cases in schools? I’m no statistician but positive cases in pupils appear to have doubled this week compared to last week.

My LA have gone quiet on announcing any schools with positive cases so although you hear about them through “the grapevine” they’re not publicised anywhere.

I do wonder whether the media have been told to play down the whole school scenario!

Marisha and inthered like this.
  20. Marisha

The media has reported positive cases at Lochgelly High School in Fife. Contacts who have tested negative have, nevertheless, been told to isolate from the rest of their family for 14 days.

I've heard a claim of positive cases at Auchmuty High in Glenrothes, but there's nothing in the press.