1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No mention?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by racroesus, Sep 30, 2018.

1. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The abc conjecture is causing more arguments about whether or not there is a proof.
    Michael Atiyah claims a proof of Riemann's conjecture.
    Rovers on an asteroid.

nizebaby likes this.
  2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Well, Atiyah is no novice. As a recipient of both the the Abel Prize and the Fields Medal he should know what he is talking about.

For non-mathematicians the Riemann hypothesis, put forward by Bernhard Reimann about 150 years ago, postulated that the occurrence of prime numbers on the number line are not randomly distributed (as is currently thought) but can be predicted by an equation. All that is needed is the equation and the mathematician (or layman) who comes up with the goods can claim £1million since the problem is one of seven unsolved “Millennium Prizes”.

So, we wait for Aityah's solution to be checked by other mathematicians and then published before it is fully accepted. Louis de Branges of Purdue University claimed he had proved it ten years ago but failed.

Dunno about rovers on an asteroid?? :confused:, but as a (retired) maths teacher I look forward to news on this one. Maybe New Scientist or Scientific American?

Thank you for the post, @racroesus

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    lexus300 and nizebaby like this.
  3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I've been following the bouncy Japanese rovers, amazing

4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I got them from New Scientist. Imagine someone in their ninetieth year beating us to it!
    News of rovers here
    https://arstechnica.com/science/201...o-land-two-tiny-rovers-on-a-distant-asteroid/

5. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Despite multiple conferences dedicated to explicating Mochizuki’s proof, number theorists have struggled to come to grips with its underlying ideas. His series of papers, which total more than 500 pages, are written in an impenetrable style, and refer back to a further 500 pages or so...

https://www.wired.com/story/math-titans-clash-over-epic-proof-of-the-abc-conjecture/

I'll take a look this afternoon when I have a little time, I'm sure the layman's perspective will be appreciated.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  8. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I talked to a mathematician about Atiyah's claim. His reckoning was that although Atiyah was a very fine mathematician in his day, there is nothing in it. He also reckons that as other mathematicians have such respect for Atiyah, they will just fail to comment rather than say outright that it's wrong. I guess the Clay Mathematics Institute will have to come up with a verdict, but maybe they will just take their time.

9. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Ta, racroesus. You've got nizeman in a great mood. He's discovered a new hero: Leonhard Euler,

racroesus likes this.
  10. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

upload_2018-10-1_11-30-36.png

nomad likes this.
  11. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

As in "Do they do it in pink?"?

Mangleworzle likes this.
  12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

If you were less lazy you could dash off a quick proof of Goldbach's conjecture as well.

13. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

:eek: I think I've entered the Twilight Zone. :eek:

14. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

The test of a good teacher is whether s/he can make her/his subject matter comprehensible to the uninitiated.

So?

My level is 'O' Maths at grade 3 (when 1 was the top grade) in 1971. I have had no formal maths tuition since that time.

Please explain this as I would very much like to understand.

Oh, I HAVE learned the Fibonacci sequence since I left school so this puts me at 1202 AD.

Now you know where to start pitching your explanation. Thanks. Any of you. I'm not fussy.

15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Browse oeis.org. Search with A followed by 6 digits the leading ones being 0s; A000147

16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Don't kid yourself. If you can understand Diophantus' work you are 3rd century. This guy struggled;
    the Byzantine scholar John Chortasmenos (1370–1437) had written "Thy soul, Diophantus, be with Satan because of the difficulty of your other theorems and particularly of the present theorem"

17. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Now you have to explain the work of Diophantus too.

But could you please begin with Riemann and Atiyah.

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I see asteroid landers being mentioned.

I see Byzantines being mentioned.

I am very confused about this thread but these topics are so me.

19. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

That sounds a bit controversial in a stereotype/gender sort of way.

I'll ask if it could predict how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Atiyah is a mathematician. Bernard Riemann was a mathematician who did some work on prime numbers. He came up with a bit of mathematics called his zeta function which, he conjectured, would output a zero when given a prime. If his conjecture is right then by finding the zeroes of his zeta function we get primes with no primes missed. We have enormous primes but between the last most enormous prime and the most recent enormous prime are loads of primes. This has issues for security such as you use when buying shoes on-line and might allow someone to quickly hack systems that presently require vast amounts of time. There are, also, many mathematical results that rely on Riemann's conjecture being true so they cannot be fully accepted. At the beginning of the 20th Century David Hilbert gave a list of problems that, he felt, would advance mathematics if solved. The Riemann proof is the only one outstanding and the Clay institute included it in its list of important problems.
    This has been a gross simplification.

nomad likes this.