1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No longer able to sell resources for £1

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by MissHallEnglish, Feb 23, 2016.

1. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

Hi all,

Hope you've all had a productive run of sales since the New Year.

Just a quick one: I've been selling all but one of my resources for £1. I'm happy with £1 - I'm not out to make a killing, just to earn a bit of extra money for bits and pieces. I like making resources (that I feel are good quality), that I can use primarily with my class and are accessible to others and if I can make a quick buck, as it were, then fab.

Now the TES have increased the minimum price you can charge to £2, should I change the other similar resources to £2? I'm currently working my way through the new EDUQAS Poetry Anthology and producing a mini unit of work for each poem and was previous selling them at £1. I've uploaded another resource this afternoon but it's now £2, rather than £1 and of the same quality etc. In the interest of 'standards' and 'fairness' this doesn't seem right to charge more for one than another that is of the same quality but previous uploads are cheaper.

What do you think? If I'm faffing, then tell me I'm faffing.

Cheers. :)

2. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

Yes, I just found out about the £2 minimum. My previous resources are far longer and I was only charging £2 for those. Still - let's face it - you can't buy much for £2 nowadays so we must hope others think so too and gradually move other prices up!

3. MissHallEnglish

Thanks, very true. Fingers crossed.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Another good reason not to charge for resources.;)

5. MissHallEnglish

I don't necessarily agree @Lara mfl 05.

I've paid (out of my own pocket) extortionate amounts for textbooks and resources from different sources that generally aren't worth the money. Way more than £2. I still upload free resources: I charge for my better quality ones.

Each to their own, I guess...!

wanet, LanguageArtsLab and Charleei like this.
  6. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

I agree with the original poster and don't see the logic of your comment at all. I've had more than 1.6 million views of my free resources apparently so feel I have contributed... Now that employment won't provide some financial reward for making new ones, it would be pleasant to get a tiny return for the hours it takes to prepare something from scratch.

Alice K likes this.
  7. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

Every one is entitled to their own opinion. However, I do find it strange that people come into a sellers forum to post about NOT selling resources..... Almost as if they want the attention.....

8. Lara mfl 05

Apologies for intruding. :oops:
    I'm afraid since the revamp I tend to use the 'Recent Posts' option to trace any activity (my own 'Watched Threads' are not especially useful.Hence I have on a couple of occasions failed to notice in which forum the original thread was posted! :oops:

Really I posted to point out the incongruity of the new £2 threshold, when previously the same resources would have been cheaper, and to reinforce the OP's point about how she'd though about the level of price depending on the quality of resources and so would have to increase all her prices and possibly lose sales?

9. Lara mfl 05

Double post.

10. Skillsheets

Skillsheets Occasional commenter

I won't put my prices up from £1 to £2 because I don't think people will pay twice as much. I mainly sell batches of about 8 maths worksheets ( with some repetition in each batch because I write for my students who need a lot of repetition ). Sales are not exactly brilliant at £1 so I cannot see that doubling the price will benefit me at all unfortunately.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. TheGingerTeacher

Sorry I didn't mean that the way it sounded. Some people really attack this whole thing and it can be a little annoying! Particularly if people seek us out to moan at us! I am sure that wasn't your intention. Please stick around we are a nice bunch of sellers. :)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. LanguageArtsLab

LanguageArtsLab New commenter

SO do we have to up all our one pound products to two pounds, or is it just from now on?

13. MissHallEnglish

You don't have to up any products. The minimum pricing is now £2. I was merely asking because I've got products that are similar in quality and quantity for £1 but I'll be uploading about another 12 of these units and will have to charge £2 instead of £1. I was just thinking in the interests of fairness, it didn't seem quite right. Will just have to see what happens!

Skillsheets likes this.
  14. TheGingerTeacher

Could we not still list them as £1 but under custom price?

15. MissHallEnglish

Nope. When I tried it wouldn't allow less than £2.

16. TheGingerTeacher

Oh! Hmmmmm.... I agree sometimes resources are quite small and shouldn't be more than £1

17. Skillsheets

Skillsheets Occasional commenter

How would you define small?

18. MissHallEnglish

I was wondering that @Skillsheets . Each one of my poetry PPTs is worth 4-5 hours of time. Perhaps £1 was too cheap but I was just happy to try my luck and earn a bit for my time. I have sold one of the PPTs I put on yesterday, at £2. Perhaps I've made a mountain out of a molehill. o_O

Skillsheets likes this.
  19. TheGingerTeacher

I don't know really I have my very own way of deciding on a price. I count the pages included, work out the time it would save a teacher and think about how much I would reasonably pay for it, then..... I kinda randomly choose a number. If it sells well I figure it's about right. If it sells REALLY well I figure it's too cheap and if it sells badly it is probably too high. I realise this is not the best way to do it but it works for me and I can't work out a proper system at the minute.

Skillsheets and cate_h like this.
  20. MissHallEnglish

Love a bit of guess work! Ha. :)

Skillsheets and Charleei like this.