1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

No, just ignore them

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Teslasmate, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Teslasmate

Teslasmate Occasional commenter

https://www.tes.com/news/treat-school-inspectors-your-favourite-auntie

OFSTED are management's problem, not mine. They give headteachers nightmares, not me. It is the head that's in the firing line. That's why management are so utterly obsessed with them.
    If the school fails, I don't. The head and management team might be sacked, I won't.
    Unfortunately then it's likely the school will go into SM, and that is a special kind of hell for a teacher.
    But, OFSTED won't make their decision because of your lesson. They'll make it because that's the decision they want to make. They'll make it because of data. Or because the head is in / out of favour. Or because it's one of the few non academies left. It will have nothing to do with how good / bad / indifferent the school is.
    Inspectors are just another one of the parade through the classroom. Pay them no attention whatsoever.

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

They appear to largely make their decisions before hand based on data.

Sadly this methodology is now being applied to our lesson observations. As a result we aren't really being observed on our teaching, but on the data we've entered over the year.

agathamorse and primarycat like this.
  3. afterdark

afterdark Occasional commenter

That was my impression of things before I left the UK.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. ajrowing

ajrowing Occasional commenter

My favourite Auntie died last week, I am sure she would be happy to share her funeral with that of Ofsted.

5. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

My first 'inspection' happened when I was a 'probationer' in 1980.
    In those days it was HMI, and although everyone dreaded them, it was a much more helpful exercise than the ridiculous Ofsted.

We actually had a two-way conversation at the end, that went along the lines of:
    HMI Why did you......?
    Me Because.........
    HMI Ah, I see.......but you could possibly...
    Me Yes, I might bear that in mind.....

No data. Respect for your subject knowledge. Respect for differing abilities and behavioural issues etc

Not the ''one-size-fits-all'' rubbish of today.

6. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Just to add, I have no memory of being 'graded' under the old HMI. Can anyone else remember?

agathamorse likes this.
  7. afterdark

afterdark Occasional commenter

just read the article

What a load of cobblers.

For decades now, OFSTED are the single biggest obstacle to improvement in education.
    OFSTED was created by the UK government to fix the non-existent plague of bad teachers. The chief Judas amongst was the adulterer Chris Woodhead.

OFSTED are not needed and the government could save billions of pound over the coming years by dissolving this obnoxious QUANGO. They are not needed because HMI did a much better job far more efficiently.

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Agreed. Plus the whole article is just a puff piece cheerleading for OFSTED. How long has it been since we got a fortnight's notice? Or is this a Scottish thing? I had to click on 'heidie' to find out what that means.