1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No joy on GTP Reserve List so re-applying for September 2012

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by shick25, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Hi guys,

I applied for the 2011 Primary GTP at Nottingham Trent last year and after what i thought was a very successful interview, i have been on their reserve list since March 2011. Unfortunately i have still not heard and therefore assume i have not got a place for the 2011-12 cohort.
    Although its been a very difficult and anxious time waiting to hear if ive got a place, i am not giving up and hence re-applying for the September 2012-13 cohort. I have been a Teaching Assistant for 4 years and have a job as a level 3 TA in a great school that will support my GTP placement.
    Has anyone had to re-apply for the GTP? Any ideas or comments as to improvements i can make to ensure i get on next year?
    Thanks,
    Shick25

2. I gave up on a GTP place in the end. Like you was a HLTA in a school prepared to sponsor me but didn't get a place. Applied for and did a PGCE in the end as the school was not sure if the budget would enable to support me in the future!
    Might be something worth thinking about. Also the PGCE is more widely recognised, just incase you were thinking of moving abroad or even to Scotland!!
    Good luck :)

3. Thanks for your response.

I'm going to try again this year and see what happens, it's just so frustrating when you've got the experience and a supporting school but you don't get a place :( I would be interested in the PGCE but due to my mortgage and the need to have financial security this would be a difficult option to take, especially as i know the bursary's aren't as generous as what they used to be.

Thanks once again, Shick25

4. Why don't you apply to both which you are allowed? While financial consideration is a factor, in the great scheme of things, it shouldn't be the final arbiter of whether you can become a teacher or not.

5. I gave up on finding a GTP for primary, they are incredibly rare!
    I'm now doing my PGCE through a SCITT and loving it, it's very similar to a GTP in terms of format and time spent in school but without the £15k in my pocket!! In fact, I think we are much better supported than a GTP.
    Yes the finance would have been fantastic but there was no way I was giving up on becoming a teacher and I wasn't willing to put off for another year. So I am now in receipt of student loans, CTC, housing benefit and the kids are on free school dinners! To be honest, it probably works out about the same across the year in terms of money into the household, it's just I have to pay £8k back! LOL!

6. Have you considered also applying for Derby University GTP. You already have a school and that is half the battle. I am currently on the Derby GTP (Secondary) and it is a great course.
    If I can help in any way just message me and I would be happy to help.