1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No joined up thinking!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chelsea2, Jul 11, 2019.

1. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

On Sunday we have:
    Men's Singles Final at Wimbledon;
    Cricket World Cup Final with England playing at Lord's.
    British GP with Hamilton aiming for another World Championship at Silverstone.

Great forward planning!

needabreak and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

That assumes there is significant audience overlap..

nomad and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. nizebaby

nizebaby Lead commenter

Well, we didn't know that England would make it to the final.

On the orher hand, rhe tournament has dragged on for a ridiculously long time.

nomad likes this.
  4. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

There's a significant interest overlap - people who enjoy watching sport often enjoy watching a range of sports. None of those are my 'top' sports, but if I were at home I would watch them, and would struggle to decide which one to focus on.

(As it is I shall be on the top of a Lake District fell!!)

blue451 likes this.
  5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Oh bloody brilliant. Zero customer footfall after lunch at the event I've hired a trader's table for on Sunday.

nomad likes this.
  6. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

O ye of little faith!

7. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

One of them is a dull engineering challenge.
    One of them was not expected to happen this Sunday
    And the tennis has been "this Sunday" since 2017.

8. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I presume you are being ironic? Just in case you are not, name the last time an England sports team actually reached a World Final. The only one I can think of is the 20, 20 competition. Football, rugby, 50 overs cricket we regularly fail in. Most folk would have assumed the England cricketers would do the usual England thing and lose in the semi final, so this is an unexpected bonus.

9. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Well, they were among the favourites at the start, and their recent performance in such games has been good, so much was expected.

10. Oscillatingass

Much is always expected but oh so rarely delivered.

11. Oscillatingass

I am delighted it will be on terrestrial telly. Motor Racing and tennis are of no interest to me although if a home based player was in the tennis final I would have watched if no cricket.

12. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Yep

It was always a possibility that England would come good at the right momemt. Even if they hadn't, there'd still be a good match to watch.

Tennis has been as dull as a bagful of dull things ever since the game was invented. The most interesting part of it is the look of horror on the faces of the spectators when they spill their strawberries and cream down the front of their frocks.

13. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Well if you get the timing right, you can watch a game of tennis in-between the cricket bowling, and grab 10 laps of Hamilton during a tennis break

chelsea2 likes this.
  14. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

So, it's a choice between noisy cars going very fast on a circuit, a sport where most of the teams are standing around doing very little (or sitting it out) and where watching the action is like watching paint dry, and ... tennis.

15. Oscillatingass

So the replies so far suggest that few of us are conflicted regarding Sunday's sport watching because we all have strong preferences for one of the sports and/or a dislike of the other sports on offer.

16. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

Cricket on terrestrial tv, can’t wait. Hope it’s a hot day, will allow me to reminisce about the black and white portable in a cardboard box in the garden.

Duke of York likes this.
  17. nomad

nomad Star commenter

And it is only 20:38 now!

:D

18. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I will probably sleep through the Grands Prix (its my thing)

19. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

I am not interested in any of these in the slightest. :rolleyes: I have always hated tennis, never understood cricket and haven't even bothered to form an opinion on GP.

Good luck to all of you with this dilemma. May the best match/race find you!:)

nizebaby likes this.
  20. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Sounds good to me and don't forget Le Tour where people ride very fast on bicycles closely together.

Whats not to like? :)