1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No jobs my area currently

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by louiseb1000, Jun 4, 2020.

1. louiseb1000

louiseb1000 New commenter

So I have just finished my PGCE and everyone on my course has a job already and I don't. Since this Covid nightmare has started there has been hardly any jobs in my area, in fact when there has been the last one I applied for had 43 applicants! cant help feeling very disheartened and worried I wont find an NQT position.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

31st May was the resignation date, and teachers may have retired, decided they can’t cope with video lessons, or got a new job. So there will be vacancies coming up.

Every year I tell you all not to worry too much as I appointed one of the best NQTs ever on Results Day in August! Why she hadn’t been snapped up before I don’t know.

If you are in an area with a lot of competition and can’t move to find a job, it can be disheartening. So you must produce the best possible application. Start by going to the TES Resources and downloading the free outline for an Executive Summary I’ve put there. This will help you focus on what the school is looking for. You may find THIS useful for other tips about writing an application that will showcase your strengths.

Once you’ve sent off an application, start immediately preparing your interview, don’t leave it until you hear, you might get very short notice.

Best of luck, keep safe

Stiltskin likes this.
  3. ybadat

ybadat New commenter

Just echoing what TheoGriff is saying really, please try not to worry. I was one of the last people on my PGDE course this year to get a job too. Just try to not get disheartened, I know that's easy to say but I was in your position literally a week ago. Just because the 31st May deadline has passed does not mean than jobs will not come up, there will be another wave of jobs soon enough. Good luck!

4. surfblue33

surfblue33 New commenter

I did not secure a job straight away after qualifying. There were only two advertised, for one I got an interview, was actually offered the position but it did not feel right. My gut instinct told me something was off in the department. So I walked away and did supply. for one year and secured an NQT position one year later. It gave me chance to have a really good look at the schools and I got very lucky with my new school. Had a great NQT year.
    So, don’t panic!

ELH_UK likes this.