1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No job for September. Need some advice please.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Katbrown8999, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Katbrown8999

Katbrown8999 New commenter

Hello,

I completed my primary PGCE this July, but have been unable to find a job in the South-west as it is quite a competitive area. I have now opened up my job seeking to London, but with the summer holidays it is almost impossible to find anything that is not agency based which I am not really interested in as have had bad experiences with these as a TA. Does anyone have any advice - will jobs start to come up in September? Will I be viewed at a disadvantage for not having found a job for September? And should I go into supply work from September to increase my job chances or will I be okay if I hold out a month or two?

I know that's a lot of questions! I just feel a bit like I've missed the boat and would appreciate hearing from other people who may have had similar experiences.

Thank you!

2. Ne11y

Ne11y Occasional commenter

There will be jobs - people leave last minute, things happen. My school is likely to have a couple before Christmas due to changing circumstances for teachers.

I have sent you a PM.

3. ilovesummertime

ilovesummertime New commenter

Hi @Katbrown8999

When I was a trainee I qualified in the July without a job. I just left it until the September and ended up getting a maternity leave cover early October in which completed my NQT year. I didn’t find it put me at a disadvantage and I didn’t do supply.

You could always look to join a supply agency (may take a little while to register etc.) then you have a back up. I’m sure something will come up though. Good luck and try not to worry - for now just enjoy your summer and a well earned break !

agathamorse likes this.
  4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Schools can't really view you disadvantageously.
    "Can you do the job? Are there any cheaper options?" is about all they can stretch to.

I suspect supply agencies will offer you the same bad experiences but would still advise you to try these. Register with 5, at least, on the basis that one of them will be half-way useful at any given time. Supply can give you experience of a variety of schools and this will enhance your job searching. Also your CV will look a bit better for it.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

I qualified five years ago in July without a job to go to. I signed on with an agency for supply and did pretty well (it might have helped that I had been with them as a cover supervisor before). I got a temporary post in the following January for one term, which was then increased to two terms and got me two thirds of the way through my NQT year.

So don’t worry too much, but I would advise going on supply for a while if you have nothing else in September.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

There are likely to be some vacancies at the start of the next academic year if you are genuinely looking across all of London most of the ITT is located south and west London so schools in these areas tend to be swamped with NQTs . More opportunities occur in North and East London where there are less ITT providers and increasing numbers of schools.Many of these will be via agencies- as schools will have tried advertising already and/or are not going to pay out for more advertising in September.
    You do need to look at the costs of living in London and particularly the best areas to relocate to and particularly where to commute from.
    I am based in London and you are welcome to pm me

agathamorse and JohnJCazorla like this.