1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No job. Feel disheartened.

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by CoconutLatte, Sep 29, 2020.

1. CoconutLatte

CoconutLatte New commenter

Hi I qualified with my PGCE QTS (Primary) in July. I also have a BA Hons English. I taught EYFS, KS1, lower KS2 and upper KS2.

I still do not have a job as a primary school teacher. I haven’t even had an interview. There aren’t many jobs in my county, but I still feel disheartened.

Several people (including head teachers) have looked over my cover letter and said they were impressed with it.

I’m still not sure if I’m missing something from my cover letter. How long was your cover letter? What do you think stood out?

2. Jeremyinspain

Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

Your comment: 'There aren’t many jobs in my county...' suggests that you are applying in a very limited area. If this is true, then it is going to be more difficult for you. How many jobs have you applied for, and over what time period?

3. CoconutLatte

About 10 (off the top of my head) in 6 months as I applied to a couple before I finished my PGCE. I think this is quite a competitive area, but I’ve applied in different neighbouring towns.

How long was your cover letter? Did you get a teaching job in a town, city or village?

4. JJ83

JJ83 Occasional commenter

Hey
    Getting a job in teaching is hard, applications will normally state that an accompanying letter/statement should be no longer than 2 sides of A4 so stick with whatever guidelines they give you

5. CoconutLatte

Hi. Yes my cover letter is 1 1/2 pages long. Finding a job is proving very difficult.

6. 43Meadows

43Meadows New commenter

I can sympathise. I had an interview and trial recently but didn’t secure the post as I ‘need to build my confidence’ which I agree with. Having not been in school since February I am a bit rusty, that’s true.

There are more jobs starting to come through, and I would think there will be a flurry before half term so don’t be too down just yet.