1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No Job Contract. Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by DrJay, Jun 23, 2015.

1. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

Hello everyone, I am an NQT. I've just been offered a full-time, permanent position in an academy rated by Ofsted as "good". I am on MPS1 (£22, 023) and would be receiving additional £2587 for TLR 'for first year only' and a relocation package because I am having to move from one end of the country at a huge cost. All I got to confirm these is an email from the HR Manager. No contract. My question is this: "should I expect to sign a contract before starting the job?"

2. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Nothing to worry about. Contracts usually don't appear until after you have started. What does matter is that you have it all in writing from the school (which you appear to have in the HR email) and that you have accepted it. Legally that is a contract..

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

5. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

Many thanks everyone for the responses. In all previous jobs, contracts came in 2 or more copies, I signed these, kept a copy and sent remaining copy(ies) back to the HR and felt the same should be the case with schools.

TheoGriff, many thanks for the links. I find them extremely insightful.

6. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

It is in some, perhaps many, in my experience... But obviously not all.

7. kcrobson

kcrobson New commenter

I am in a similar position, except I have been employed by the school for two and a half years (8 terms)!! I have a written employment offer, but have never had my employment particulars. Also, I work at an Independent, so not already covered by Burgundy Book etc... I have requested the particulars twice. I am not alone in this, and it appears that many teachers employed in the last 6 years have never been given particulars.

I am raising this in a staff meeting next Monday... any advice on how to defend my right to know the particulars and have them in writing?? They have already changed the expected number of lessons to be taught weekly since I arrived (from 20 to 21) without any explanation/ consultation, and not having particulars makes me feel a bit vulnerable. I also had nothing written to say that no, we teach a max of 20...

We have a new head and I want to make him aware this is an issue. Just looking for some advice. And sorry to piggy back on this post; wasn't sure if this needed a new post or not!

8. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

The school was obliged by law to provide you with the s1 written statement of the terms and conditions within 2 months of the start fate.

You can make a complaint to an Employment Tribunal that thee have not been provided. The ET can make them provide it and sanction them between two and up to four weeks' salary for failing to do so.

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/.../basic-rights-at-work

9. Rott Weiler

Would you expect this to be in your contract? You are in an independent school so I guess anything is possible but a full time contract in an LA school wouldn't specify how many lessons a week you had to teach or prevent the head changing your timetable.

10. kcrobson

kcrobson New commenter

That is not my timetable - I am referring to what is considered 'full time max timetable' across the school. Can they arbitrarily change how many lessons is considered full time?? I was told the max I COULD teach was 20 when I started, as was standard across the school, and then it was summarily announced that if we taught less than 21 we would be given 'extra' duties, tasks.., etc... I would expect the number of lessons consider 100% timetable to be in my timetable as it is not a state where you have 10% PPA. Also the number of evening prep duties we are expected to do was changed and it was announced as if we should have been doing more all along!!

11. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

The contract is likely to have a catch-all "such other duties as the Head may reasonably direct." And I share RW's view that it's highly unlikely to specify number of lessons - after all they might change in duration in a timetable reshuffle.

12. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I have never heard of this 'maximum lessons' thing before. Can they change it, yes, i imagine so... I assume you are on a 25 period week. You are comfortably getting PPA entitlement.

13. Rott Weiler

Although as this is an independent school there is no statutory entitlement to PPA time. Only what might be in the individual contracts, which might not be the same as in LA schools.

14. kcrobson

kcrobson New commenter

But the thing is, I have never seen that written with regard to this school...

15. kcrobson

kcrobson New commenter

The lack of official PPA time is one reason why the constant changing of expectations makes me feel vulnerable... The fact that we have no written particulars has already been discussed as being in breach of employment regulation.