1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No job again and sent home after the lesson.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, Apr 27, 2012.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

This link doesn't always work, but try it anyway. It's part of the book below:
    jackiebeere.com/.../articles/The_Perfect_Ofsted_lesson_-_article.docx
    [​IMG]
    Here's the bit about criteria for success:
    The Perfect (Ofsted) lesson? - meeting the new criteria and delivering progress in learning

How can you make sure in the brief time that an inspector (or other assessor) spends in your classroom - that your lesson ticks enough boxes to impress - and gain that outstanding grade?

Sharing the criteria for success is essential for any learning experience - if you (or your students) do not know what they are expected to strive for - how do you (or they) know that they have achieved success?
    So here are the Ofsted criteria for an outstanding lesson:

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" style="margin:auto auto auto 5.4pt;border:currentColor;border-collapse:collapse;" class="MsoTableGrid">
    <tr style="page-break-inside:avoid;">
    <td style="padding:0cm 5.4pt;border:1pt solid black;width:28.65pt;background-color:transparent;">

</td>
    <td style="border-width:1pt 1pt 1pt 0px;border-style:solid solid solid none;border-color:black black black #000000;padding:0cm 5.4pt;width:141.45pt;background-color:transparent;">
    Learning
    and progress

</td>
    <td style="border-width:1pt 1pt 1pt 0px;border-style:solid solid solid none;border-color:black black black #000000;padding:0cm 5.4pt;width:5cm;background-color:transparent;">
    Teaching
    and assessment

</td>
    </tr>
    <tr style="height:216.9pt;page-break-inside:avoid;">
    <td style="border-width:0px 1pt 1pt;border-style:none solid solid;border-color:#000000 black black;padding:0cm 5.4pt;width:28.65pt;height:216.9pt;background-color:transparent;">
    Outstanding

</td>
    <td style="border-width:0px 1pt 1pt 0px;border-style:none solid solid none;padding:0cm 5.4pt;width:141.45pt;height:216.9pt;background-color:transparent;">
    The quality of learning is
    exceptional.
    Students demonstrate excellent concentration and are rarely
    off task
    even for extended periods without adult direction

They have developed a resilience when tackling challenging
    activities

Their keenness and commitment to succeed in all aspects
    of school life and ability to grasp opportunities to extend and improve their learning are exceptional.

Progress is at least good for different groups of students
    and exemplary for some students.

</td>
    <td style="border-width:0px 1pt 1pt 0px;border-style:none solid solid none;padding:0cm 5.4pt;width:5cm;height:216.9pt;background-color:transparent;">
    Teaching is at least good and often
    outstanding as students are making exceptional
    progress.

Students are enthused
    which ensures they learn really well.
    Excellent subject knowledge is
    applied to challenge and inspire students.

Resources, including new
    technology
    make a marked contribution to learning as does the targeted
    support from other adults

Teachers are aware of students&rsquo; capabilities and their prior
    learning
    and understanding and plan effectively to build on these.
    Marking
    and dialogue
    between teachers and other adults and students are of
    consistently high quality.

</td>
    </tr>
    </table>

Searching for the &lsquo;x' factor - what are the magic ingredients that will elevate your lesson to outstanding?
    The first sentences in each column above identify the key ingredients for success:

&bull; &lsquo;The quality of the learning is exceptional'
    &bull; &lsquo;Teaching is at least good and often outstanding as students are making exceptional progress.'

In summary, the &lsquo;x' factor means demonstrating EXCEPTIONAL PROGRESS IN LEARNING in your lesson.
    A disappointing day, following other disappointments. I am sorry that things are not looking good for you at the moment.
    If you e-mail Julia on advice@tes.co.uk (say I told you to), she may be able to give you details of when the next TES seminar on How to be Outstanding is going to be running. These Outstanding seminars are usually presented by Sara Bubb, and like all of our seminars are in small groups, around a boardroom table, so that you can feel part of what's happening, not a big room full of people taking notes in rows.
    Best wishes.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, believe it or not, there is a nice, neat, narrow chart in there that fits the margins perfectly!
    You can see it in its perfect format by clicking the Reply button, whereupon it magically goes back to its proper size.
    Sorry about that!
    Best wishes.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh, so frustrating after all the effort of preparing the lesson to have that happen.
    There's a new delivery on
    <h3>Flowers . . . !
    </h3>

4. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

I was about to say something similar too. By the way, the last two interview lessons that I've done, I've used the lesson plan in 'Pimp My Lesson' - such as Social/Moral/Cultural etc. and Literacy/Numeracy emphasis - both things that Ofsted talked about in January of this year. I also added an extra box detailing my interview school's own Ofsted priorities from their last report - I then made sure that it was being addressed in the lesson. Also, I've always phoned up to get as much detail about the class I'm teaching. Remember also that you might not have gelled with the interview team. If so, then you probably wouldn't want to work at the school anyway. I've also included a final page detailing; 'Outstanding' lesson criteria checklist to demonstrate that I've had it in mind whilst planning. This checklist has included things like; were all pupils engaged? Pace? Starter activity? Plenary? Check of progress? etc..... I hope this helps.

5. Sorry to hear this - I think sometimes interviewers have to find something and sometimes their feedback can be mystifying. I went for one job interview and I pulled out anyway but I did ask for some feedback. Basically their ICT did not work during the lesson. I was showing a short film then doing some work around it - I had the film in 4 different formats and a weblink to it but the laptop they gave me wouldn't run anything - it didn't even have Windows media player installed on it!!!!
    I had told them prior to my lesson I would need a laptop to do this and could I bring my own but they had said mine wouldn't work with their network (although i am sure it would connect to an interactive whiteboard!
    One of their essential criteria was 'Using ICT creatively in lessons' which is why I tried to show it in the lesson. (In hindsight I should have taken my own laptop anyway!) I did the lesson but just using a passage from a book (that I had bought with me just in case... so i was prepared LOL) Their feedback was that I was prepared enough in case something went wrong! Bizarre really ;-)
    I actually pulled out partly because of the fiasco with the ICT and also because of the inequality that was apparent on the lesson observations. I was observed for 10 mins by the head whilst another candidate was observed by three different people on the interview panel at all times throughout his lesson. Other candidates had two observers during the lesson, etc... I felt I was providing supply to a class while they were scrutinising other candidates. they also interviewed 18 people over two days - so obviously had no idea who they wanted. What sealed it was the way the staff spoke to the children - awful!
    The point I am trying to make (very badly) is that if the feedback seems bizarre it probably is. The sad thing is it just means it isn't the right school for you and even if you think it was - it wasn't. I know it is frustrating when you are on that job merry go round but you probably had a lucky escape.
    Good schools give feedback you can use.

6. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

I agree with this; I used the advice I got from one school going to another interview; as a result the second interview place said that I 'd performed strongly in all areas but they felt that the 'internal' candidate who had been doing the job already knew the kids, so was the best person for the job. In hindsight, I feel that they didn't want to upset the apple cart, and the internal candidate was the 'safe' option. I respected them for being honest, and looking back on it, the job would not have been right for me. It's all good experience however bitter that is a pill to swallow. MM