1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No job advertised--is it worth a letter?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by EBC, Aug 12, 2019.

1. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Hi,

There's an area I'm looking to move to in the future, but at the moment, the schools I'd be interested in don't have any vacancies. Obviously I'll be looking throughout the year, but what do you think about writing a letter with my cv asking that if a vacancy came up could they consider me.

This was a suggestion by a friend but I'm not sure if this is common practice or a good idea.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I know this is 'quite normal' in some areas of work, but from my experience, not so in Education and most 'speculative letters' never get past the secretary and get filed 'B' for Bin. ;)

3. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

Schools don't accept CVs so writing one with a cover letter would be a waste of time. Best thing you can do is sign up for the job alerts with the relevant council and then apply when you see a suitable vacancy.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

I'm assuming you work in the Independent sector, as people do tend to write to Indies to ask about vacancies.

But in the State sector its not a good idea.

I would wait to see if they advertise.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

It’s how I got a job when I couldn’t find one in the area I was after. I was offered four interviews. Go for it - what have you got to lose (except some time...)

EBC and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. DexterDexter

DexterDexter Occasional commenter

It was a few years ago and it cost me about a tenner in stamps but I wrote to schools. One head passed my details on to another (where I hadn’t written to) and I got a part-time temporary job. You’ve nothing to lose!

freckle06 likes this.