1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No interview

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by JanE60, Dec 2, 2015.

1. JanE60

JanE60 New commenter

Invited for interview and was the only candidate. After a book scrutiny and lesson observation, I was told that I would not be interviewed as the lesson was "not to our standard". The 2 reasons given did not constitute a poor lesson on the whole. I was under the impression that an interview lesson was part of a selection process, and not just make or break. My letter of application had stated clearly that I wished to move to a new age range so could clearly adapt my teaching style, given my 20 years of relevant experience. Is this situation normal? Should one always expect an interview?

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I get annoyed when this happens... you get invited to interview... and then they see you teach and decide they don't want to interview you.

Pretty sure I was invited to interview... not just a teaching demonstration.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I can understand how you feel about this . . . but on the other hand, what's the point of putting you through the stress of an interview when they have already decided that your teaching style doesn't suit their teaching culture?

Just be glad you got home early, is my view.

But do have some chocolate . . . and feel free to eat it all in one go!

Cadburys.jpg

Best wishes

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

The term "interview" refers to the process, not simply the bit where you're asked questions by a panel. I always had candidates observed teaching and whilst I never sent any home without the formal part of the interview, I would have done so had any proved not good enough during the observed lesson. There is no point at all in doing the formal point if a candidate has no chance of being appointed owing to an inadequate lesson.

I did, however, once refuse to interview a candidate who - at the start of th formal interview - answered "No" to the question "Are you still a firm candidate for this post?" He was bizarrely astonished that I wouldn't still interview him and responded "Not even for my professional development?" No mate, that's not my job until and unless you're a member of my staff!

midnight_angel likes this.
  5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter