1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

No interview, yet again!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Lara mfl 05, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Sorry I just need to vent! [​IMG]
    Yet again the letter 'Unfortunately you have not been successful. I would like to thank you for applying and wish you good luck in finding a job in the future'.
    Yet again not even considered for an interview, despite the Head being one of my references (maybe I ought to look for someone else?) and it only being a temporary post till July!
    Part of me says, at least I ought to be grateful they bothered to reply and if they hadn't got the budget or had an internal candidate at least they weren't going to build up my hopes. I know there probably wasn't the budget for me (the person who's leaving is on a lower scale) & in Sept they'll want an NQT but I just feel it's so hopeless even applying for posts, in view of my maturity & expense.
    I'm even beginning to wonder if I'll even be considered for a TA or Cs next year, which is my only other option to stay in education.
    Sorry for the rant but I know others on here know just how I feel & perhaps it might help others to realise there really are a lot of 'factors' out there at present.
    Thanks for listening.

2. Lara mfl 05

Sorry I just need to vent! [​IMG]
    Yet again the letter 'Unfortunately you have not been successful. I would like to thank you for applying and wish you good luck in finding a job in the future'.
    Yet again not even considered for an interview, despite the Head being one of my references (maybe I ought to look for someone else?) and it only being a temporary post till July!
    Part of me says, at least I ought to be grateful they bothered to reply and if they hadn't got the budget or had an internal candidate at least they weren't going to build up my hopes. I know there probably wasn't the budget for me (the person who's leaving is on a lower scale) & in Sept they'll want an NQT but I just feel it's so hopeless even applying for posts, in view of my maturity & expense.
    I'm even beginning to wonder if I'll even be considered for a TA or Cs next year, which is my only other option to stay in education.
    Sorry for the rant but I know others on here know just how I feel & perhaps it might help others to realise there really are a lot of 'factors' out there at present.
    Thanks for listening.

3. I'd just like to say also that you have replied to many of my questions, and really do seems to know your teaching! So, it really is them who are missing out.
    But I do feel your pain, onto my nth application this week, and only been offered one interview so far (in which i screwed up due to being more nervous than a ever)
    In an attempt of trying to up my chances, I have just booked myself onto Theos NQT course next week, in the hope that I'll realise what I am doing wrong in my application. I think I need it because I'm an NQT so I think I'm really clueless as to what exactly they are looking for. Do you think anything like that could help you?
    We will both keep trying, and hopefully both get something soon? The very best of luck!!! [​IMG]

4. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Hi, I have found the same! It's very upsetting isn't it? You have to be so resilient. I am unable to visit schools at the moment due to work commitments so am atleast reassuring myself that it could be because of that!!

However, i've taken the decision that if I can't get a job for Sept, i'm leaving teaching. I'm so tired of this whole application thing and getting turned down, and taking mat covers. It annoys me so much because i've always been 'good' with elements of 'outstanding' and yet I can't even get an interview against NQTS! I must be writing a pants letter of application, although having followed all of Theo's advice and rewritten it for each school, it's hard to know what the problem is! lol!! Good luck x

5. ballerina

ballerina New commenter

I am the other end of the problem. I'm getting the interviews but messing them up. My application is good, I've even had comments on how good it is, but I just cannot perform in interview. The application is all my own work but when I come to interview i can hardly string a sentence together and my teaching goes down the drain. Got another one lined up next week - got some fab collegues who are going to practice with me this week on my interview skills!

6. Lara mfl 05

To gilbert24. Thanks for the hug and words of sympathy.
    To lillipad. So sorry you're thinking of leaving teaching-though I'm going to admit defeat & start applying for TA, CS whatever next year, as I too have had enough of applying, in my case year on year, & not even getting to an interview. Teaching is one of the greatest jobs to be in & my heart sinks at all that unused talent, that is being wasted which could potentially help our children & our future.
    Thanks to all those who posted.I will pick myself in a week or so-it's not as though I haven't been here before. It's just the initial disappontment when, yet again, they won't even entertain my application.
    Best wishes to all looking for jobs NQTs to 'more mature'.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh dear.
    Oh dear!
    I just know how frustrating this must be for you, Lara! I think that it is a ****** stupid system that turns down good, experienced, teachers for financial reasons. (I put the stars in myself, to save the TES Censorship the trouble of blanking out my naughty word).
    And as you aree aware, the longer it goes on, the more cheap NQTs there are applying . . .
    I feel really sorry for experienced teachers in that position. And I also feel very sorry for NQTs who are just dying to get into the teaching profession but can't as there are no vacancies for induction posts.
    Big Hugs to all of you.
    Natalia - I always like meeting Tessersae occasions - now I shall have to try to identify you!
    But the seminars aren't just for NQTs - here's what someone else said:
    And while I'm at it, here's another satisfied customer:
    But to go back to the point: I am really sorry that so many of you cannot get jobs. I do try my best on here to help you, and just hope that it works out in the end.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews. The next Job Application seminar where you can meet me in on Saturday 2 April.
    www.tesweekendworkshop19.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

8. Hi,

Can I just say that I've recently applied to about 3-4 jobs and not heard back from any apart from one who said I was unsuccessful. And I am currently studying for my PGCE.

9. My heart goes out to you all. I am sitting here now reading these posts and getting emotional myself (!) I have tried to find a new job for 6 years with no success. I have made countless applications. I am now starting to get some interviews but I just don't seem to be able to get through the interview stage. Also, of the 6 interviews I have had most have gone to internal candidates.
    I have got an interview next week and again I am a wreck already. I have never been like this, I just think that confidence in myself has been so knocked I am finding it hard to pick myself up at the moment. I just keep telling myself that I have to keep battling on if I am to achieve what I want in life. Blimey, enough.... Good luck everybody, reach for the stars!

10. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

My friend recently went for an interview in her placement school and felt very confident she would get the job as the school said they loved her. But she lost out to a vice prinicipal who was relocating from another area of the country and was happy to downgrade to a main scale teaching role. He would be offered a higher scale than her as a NQT so there are some schools who will pay extra for experience if they can.

11. Lara mfl 05

To RedWelshDragon
    Just to wish you the very best of luck for your interview next week. hink positive.
    Go back back over all the interview tips provided here & elsewhere.
    Think how much experience you've gained with previous interviews and how much you've learnt from them.
    Remember even famous actors suffer from nerves & say actually they perform worse if they don't get them.
    Hoping to hear good news soon.

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

A lot of really nice comments here about Lara and the way that she is so supportive of other posters. I hope you realise how much everyone appreciates you, Lara!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews. The next Job Application seminar where you can meet me is on Saturday 2 April.
    www.tesweekendworkshop19.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Headship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

13. Lara mfl 05

To ballerina
    You admit 'The application is all my own work', so you obviously have what it takes to 'string a sentence together', it's obviously nerves which are the problem.
    So, try taking a couple of breaths before you answer the question & thinking what you want to say., -tends to come out in 'less of a rush'.
    Concentrate on the children in your teaching session, just like you do with a real class & try to forget about the observers- they want to see you interacting with the children after all, not 'performing'.Make sure you've planned it yourself, know exactly where you're going-all things you can do ahead to make you feel more confident and be as relaxed as possible to be.(I have read about a Head on here who said she has appointed some 'not so good at interview' candidates because she was so impressed by their teaching.)
    Bless those colleagues who are going to help you 'hone' those skills, you're obviously someone good to work with. Believe in yourself.

14. Lara mfl 05

Thank you for that Theo., and of course all who've posted postive comments here.
    As all who know me realise, I am passionate about children & education, so if I can't work in schools (at present), I feel I can do my bit by supporting others then my experience isn't totally wasted.