1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No interview, is it because...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by yardf0x, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Dear Theo,

I have ten years' experience teaching English and am at UPS2. I left my previous job after a short period (6 months) and am currently doing supply. I am applying for jobs which are mostly MPS and not even getting an interview.

Is it because I am too expensive?
    Can I mention in an app letter that I would be willing to work at a lower rate of pay than my UPS2?
    Why is it that more experience counts against me?

Sincerely,

Jon

2. Dear Theo,

I have ten years' experience teaching English and am at UPS2. I left my previous job after a short period (6 months) and am currently doing supply. I am applying for jobs which are mostly MPS and not even getting an interview.

Is it because I am too expensive?
    Can I mention in an app letter that I would be willing to work at a lower rate of pay than my UPS2?
    Why is it that more experience counts against me?

Sincerely,

Jon

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Quite possibly. It's a daft situation, schools cannot always afford to appoint the people they think are best suited to the post if they are too expensive. Experience is usually a good thing, but not if it costs a school.
    *sigh*
    No, a maintained school in England and Wales is not allowed to pay you less than your current pay point, I'm afraid, so that is no solution.
    Here, however, are my suggestions:
    Suggestion 1 - follow the application advice on here
    There's loads of advice available here for you. The advice on writing applications is contained mainly in those shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread here on this Forum. Also, you should read the FAQs.
    For an effective application, you should send:
    • an application form with every bit filled in, no "See letter"
    • an application letter OR personal statement. Not both but certainly one of them.
    • a cover letter ONLY if you do a personal statement. See FAQs inside the Welcome thread
    • an Executive summary. If there's a space on the form, put it in there; if not, put it at the end of your letter so that it gets printed out automatically. The shortlisting clickables explain about this. It looks as though the forms have room for the executive summary, so put it there and then do a separate application letter.
    The Welcome thread clickables explain about an executive summary.
    Suggestion 2 - emphasise the advantages of doing supply
    Some people are apologetic about it, you should show in your application how it has benefitted you and your teaching.
    Dear Theo- work history too bitty and too much supply- help!
    Suggestion 3 - come upfront about leaving the other job
    They are going to see it from your dates, and since it is unusual for people to give up a FT post and go on supply, they will wonder why, and may therefore discard your application as having an unanswered query. So mention it briefly but positively in your application instead of ignoring it. You may already be doing suggestions 2 and 3, of course
    Suggestion 4 - apply for posts of responsibility
    There will be less competition from cheaper rivals if you apply for a Second in Dept, or i/c KS4 post.
    Best wishes