1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

no instruction on what to do on inset day

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by hiddendavid, Dec 30, 2019.

1. hiddendavid

hiddendavid New commenter

I work part time. I do not see eye to eye with my headteacher and am due to be working on the afternoon next monday.

It is an inset day in school and I have had, nor do i have expect to have, due to headteachers incompetence, any instructions as to what to do that day. Normally I would be flexible however due to the heads personal conduct i no longer am.

I think I will turn up for work as usual, 1.15-3.20 to do personal planning for the time unless otherwise instructed

is this the right thing to do? I will not be emailling the head as it is their job to instruct me.

SundaeTrifle, meggyd and 576 like this.
  2. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

You are quite within your rights to do that - work your normal hours.

But it's a shame that your relationship with the HT has broken down so badly.

3. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Just keep a detailed doc re exactly how you spent your time with proof so they can't play 'silly beggars'.

4. Curae

Curae Star commenter

I would have thought it is your head of dep rather than head of school that would inform you.

Just ask a full time fellow colleague and or check your school email for any instruction. If not do as you say. Most meetings tend to be in the morning anyway so yes if no one has informed you just turn up. If its convenient you mighr want to negotiate a morning start rather than afternoon.
    Good luck for the new year.

agathamorse and jlishman2158 like this.
  5. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

I see where you are coming from, however I would probably send an email to the HT along the lines of::

"I know you will have been really busy at the end of term and we were not able to catch up about the INSET day. I have assumed that I am expected to attend during my normal working hours - so I will see you at lunchtime on Monday. Hope you had a lovely Christmas!"

Jamvic, Curae, sabrinakat and 3 others like this.
  6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

The tone of your post leaves me unsurprised that your head does not value you. I do hope that you can't be identified through this post. If you can, expect trouble.
    I would expect that a programme has been e-mailed, put in your pigeon hole or pinned to the staff room notice board. There may well be a school digital calendar with information on.
    Until such time as either you or the head leave the school, my advice would to be cooperative.

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You are obviously very unhappy and somewhat disinterested in your current school.

You are also outstandingly negative and your poor opinion of the HT is probably reciprocated.

You should consider either trying to be a bit more positive...

Or leave.

Jamvic, nomad, grumpydogwoman and 2 others like this.
  8. Disillusioned_dana

Disillusioned_dana New commenter

Not telling my granny to suck eggs here but there will be a specified number of full Inservice days that you will be required to attend, regardless of whether you are part time or not.

I fell foul to this two years ago as HR hadn’t informed me the exact number if days which meant I was one short. I would also think that direction/ should come from the HT and it may we’ll be that the afternoon will be self directed but I would seek clarification, if it were me.

9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Having been ghosted by my head many years ago I'm not criticising you for your negative attitude. Stay professional, check with the head as @cornflake said - I wouldn't make the first phrase so sycophantic though.

10. thebookyouwish

thebookyouwish New commenter

I know exactly where you are coming from and feel exactly the same way about similar communication issues in my own workplace.

However I would do as others have suggested and be proactive and positive in finding out what the plan is.

Unfortunately the head is the one with the power and is unlikely to change their management techniques and communication style.

I’m sure we have all had dealings with similar colleagues and situations and you have my sympathy. I’ve also worked part time in the past and I have had to work extra hard to find things out, which isn’t fair.

I would start looking for a new job or try and work around some of the shortcomings.

Don’t take it too personally.

ajrowing and agathamorse like this.
  11. thebookyouwish

thebookyouwish New commenter

Absolutely - can only control your own reaction to things (unfortunately). Keep professional and keep evidence.

Being ghosted is one of the worst forms of bullying and it’s hard to fight back.

agathamorse likes this.
  12. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

You say the HT is incompetent, but to be frank your refusal to even try and find out what's going on doesn't make you look good. Your HT may be the worst in the world, but you're sinking to that level.

Do as others suggest - send an email asking what's going on. If you get no response, turn up and do your work. But if you do this and get told 'You should have asked!' it will fall on you.

Jamvic and jlishman2158 like this.
  13. celago22

celago22 Established commenter

Email your HT to ask what time they expect you in then comply with it.

I agree that they should have been proactive and told you previously - and I can see why you would assume that it is acceptable to go in at your usual time, but there is no point making life difficult.

We have all had our fair share of HTs that were not great. If you are really unhappy then you need to leave. I just didn't click with my previous HT so left.

14. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

Not at all. The headteacher needs to lead, to take the initiative and take his staff along with him. If he can't do that he is no leader. And if his staff are feeling undervalued and lacking in direction he needs to develop a strategy for dealing with this. That is exactly what the head would say to a middlemanager with staff problems or a classroom teacher with behaviour problems.

15. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If there's no information, you turn up for your normal teaching time, and take part in whatever is on the programme at that time (not your personal planning unless that's what everyone else is doing.

If there were a programme in advance, you might be prepared to offer to vary your hours a little (I've known inset days run 8-2, or where it's made sense for me to be there for the department time but not pastoral teams as I had no tutor group) - I don't think you should be obliged to, but where it's just as easy it makes sense.

So I'd be inclined to send an email along the lines of "I've not seen a timetable for the inset day, so I don't know which parts are most relevant to me; I'll assume I should come in for my normal working hours. If there is a timetable, it may be possible for me to adjust those with sufficient notice."

If you're feeling more militant, then stick to "I just want to confirm that I'll be in at 1.15 on Monday in line with my usual working hours." If it's a large site and there's a risk you turn up at that point and have to hunt round the entire school to find out whats happening, you could add something along the lines of "I'll assume that there will be information somewhere obvious to tell me where I should go at that point."

Curae likes this.
  16. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I definitely wouldn't send an email, because then you'd need to log in to the school email system and probably find a heap of emails that you'd feel annoyed you'd been sent in the holidays. Or you'd feel obliged to answer them and find yourself doing a few hours work.

I think I'm sometimes sent a timetable for INSET days...but I never read them before arriving at work.
    I just wander in at the usual time and wait for everyone else to arrive, then look on the noticeboard to see where I have to be and when.
    This isn't down to anyone's incompetence, just what's normal.
    That's what I've spent my entire career doing for INSET days and thought everyone else did as well.
    Flippin heck...don't tell my headteacher that!

But given the OP has repeatedly posted that they have left teaching...this is a very odd kind of post.

Jamvic, nomad, install and 4 others like this.
  17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

18. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Do this.

19. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Not under STPCD. You attend on days you would usually work and not on those that you don't, so you could do all five or zero. The logic for this is that they take the place of normal teaching days so the more INSET days you do, the fewer days you have to teach.

Things are more complicated for people only working part of a day. Strictly speaking, you can be directed to come in for the whole of such a day, provided that this does not mean you having too many directed hours over the school year as a whole. Please don't ask me to justify this - I am merely stating the rules.

If the OP decides to come in just for their usual hours, then I think they should attend the INSET, unless they have been told otherwise. That is the expectation for full time staff, and it seems reasonable for it to be for part time staff too. Although I think the OP could be directed to come in for the whole day, it also seems reasonable for them to do so only if directed.

Maybe. Perhaps I should have saved my fingers from RSI.

20. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Not sure what the problem is - if I work (say) Monday afternoons, I work Monday afternoon whether its an INSET day or a teaching day. If the HT wants me to vary my times, they need to ask me well in advance and I can either accept or tel them it's not possible.

So, turn up as usual and report to your usual line manager. If they don't have any training arranged for you, do preparation etc.