1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

“No individual in my lifetime has created as much trouble...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by bonkers 704, Mar 14, 2017.

1. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

I'm not knocking her. But loving humanity in general in the hope humanity will love you back because there's not much love in your own life is not an unusual course for some to take. Then or now.

P.S. I'd have loved to hear you try to tell my late grandmother (b.1891) that she wasn't allowed to hold or express an opinion. Or any of her daughters for that matter.

lexus300 likes this.
  2. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Haven't read the link yet, grumpy, but the "never be an Englishman" quote makes it sound like the debate was around "civic nationalism". Which is something the Channel 4 guy probably believes in even if he's never heard of it.

lexus300 likes this.
  3. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

There is a conflict between civic and ethnic nationalism, it often goes unrecognised (deliberately) by proponents of mass immigration.

4. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

True enough. The whole ethnic-civil-immigration debate is a nightmare for me because I agree with every side, up to a point.

5. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I bet. I have similar recollections of mine :D
    But apart from voting (sometimes in line with the husbands wishes) many of the women of ER's time didn't speak out publicly and those that did were often regarded the few that did as "finger-waggers" ...

As you pointed out, few wives of successful politicians spoke up (except in support of their husbands) A stance that is still encouraged today in many countries including this one...
    Though less so now

lizziescat likes this.
  6. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

But if so, it wasn't because they were being stifled. Or weren't strong people. Most were. Some where more than that. After Woodrow Wilson's stroke, his wife Edith kept his incapacity secret and basically ran the country in his name.
    It was more because they took the view that they hadn't been elected to anything, so had no public role, nor should have, until ER created one.

lexus300 likes this.
  7. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I feel similarly, where are the wise leaders?

artboyusa likes this.