1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

“No individual in my lifetime has created as much trouble...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by bonkers 704, Mar 14, 2017.

1. bonkers 704

bonkers 704 Lead commenter

2. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

What a great woman.

And thanks for posting the link to the article, it was well worth the read.

3. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

Was Eleanor R aware of these allegations?

sabrinakat likes this.
  4. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

FDR didn't do more to end segregation because he represented the liberal minority in a Democrat party that was and always had been, overwhelmingly, pro-segregation.

Eleanor was a nice enough person, I guess, but I think she had a sad life. Her husband wasn't interested in her. Ran all over the place trying to find something to do with her life. Became the country's Finger-Wagger-In-Chief through her newspaper column that ran for years and years.
    https://www2.gwu.edu/~erpapers/myday/browsebyyear.cfm

5. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

It was a little more complicated than that but you are, considering the large numbers of Southern Democrats at the time, largely correct.
    As with all political parties and across most nations policies vary according to how many votes they expect to garner from them in the areas they control or want/need to control....
    Something we have seen time and again (even recently) as the political dance goes on. It is after all the root of populism ;)

6. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

She was the person of influence that got the Black American pilots into WW2. I think they were called the 'red tails'? Highly respected by their fellow airmen.

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I know what you mean.

But racial segregation (unofficial) has hardly ceased to exist in the US.

I've been round quite a lot of PA (Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, the Poconos, the Allegheny Mountains - a fair swathe of country) and I could count the black people I've seen on the fingers of two hands. That's a generous estimate btw.

I reckon my white, middle-class American cousin doesn't know any black people.

So they've taken a step along the road. If this were a westward journey along Route 50? They've maybe got from Washington to Cincinnati. Maybe.

8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

That should be an award on here.

9. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Before Eleanor the president's wife was the president's wife. Bess Truman and Mamie Eisenhower, who followed her, maintained tradition but Eleanor set an example for Jackie Kennedy and every subsequent FLOTUS, who all have to have some kind of semi-official function to keep them looking busy.

lexus300 and racroesus like this.
  10. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Fair point. The training was already underway but she publicly supported and publicized it.

lexus300 likes this.
  11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Ahh, Camelot.
    I still think we should award a medal for finger-wagger-in-chief

12. mothorchid

mothorchid Occasional commenter

Does Melania Trump have a function?

13. grumpydogwoman

*shudder*

I'm sure she does have a function @mothorchid but I'd prefer to remain in ignorance thereof. I suspect it may be something rather unsavoury.

But she may just be too busy promoting skincare or jewellery. All totally made in the US. Really! America First! Not made in China. No! :D:D:D:D:D

mothorchid likes this.
  14. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

15. Didactylos4

And for many women of her time and later generations.

lizziescat likes this.
  16. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

I hope not. Her childhood and personal life were miserable. Her husband cheated on her and none of her kids amounted to anything. She was a good person but I think she was a sad one too.

Awhile back I found out that Eleanor was friends with pioneer aviatrix Amelia Earhart. Went flying with her. Amelia's sister Muriel lived in the same town where I grew up and was good friends with my mother. Funny how close history is to us sometimes.

cassandramark2 and sparkleghirl like this.
  17. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/black-progress-how-far-weve-come-and-how-far-we-have-to-go/

18. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Very interesting and factual. Those darned facts that get in the way of emotive racial inequality commentary so beloved of the lefty libs.
    The last paragraph is a significant statement, IE.,
    "Thus, progress—by many measures seemingly so clear—is viewed as an illusion, the sort of fantasy to which intellectuals are particularly prone. But the ahistorical sense of nothing gained is in itself bad news. Pessimism is a self-fulfilling prophecy. If all our efforts as a nation to resolve the “American dilemma” have been in vain—if we’ve been spinning our wheels in the rut of ubiquitous and permanent racism, as Derrick Bell, Andrew Hacker, and others argue—then racial equality is a hopeless task, an unattainable ideal. If both blacks and whites understand and celebrate the gains of the past, however, we will move forward with the optimism, insight, and energy that further progress surely demands."

artboyusa likes this.
  19. Didactylos4

And despite all of that she proved publicly that women could hold and express an opinion, could challenge public conceptions and could be more than just a wife sitting behind her husband nodding and waving.
    For her era that was exceptional.

lizziescat likes this.
  20. grumpydogwoman

White supremacist Richard Spencer has been taken to task over his “ridiculous” views after he told a black journalist he would “never be an Englishman” because of his skin colour.

Gary Younge skewered Spencer after he attempted to justify his belief that “Africans have benefited from white supremacy.”

Interrupting him, Younge said: “Really? I’m just going to leave that out there. You know that is not even worth challenging.”

Later, he urged Spencer to elaborate, asking: “So slavery was good for them?”

Spencer replied: “Look, they benefitted from being in a different nation than their own. No doubt. How can you deny that,” before adding: “I am ultimately proud of it. I’m proud of slavery.”

richard-spencer-gary-younge-neo-nazi-white-supremacist-alt-right-channel-4-black-journalist-a8044286.html

Despite widespread disapproval in academic circles etc etc this man's organisation got half a million dollars in 5 years. Good for EDR but let's keep the champagne/beer/soda on ice for a little bit longer.