1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No idea what I'm doing.

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Gwyn93, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Gwyn93

Gwyn93 New commenter

Title is self-explanatory.

NQT, beginning at a school with only one other person in the department and a huge amount of changes taking place.

I can prepare for GCSE content as I have the specifications to refer to, but I have absolutely no idea what Year 7, 8 and 9 are doing. I've been given no scheme of work, no resource, or really any communication that will enable me to prepare for the year ahead. Essentially I'm going in blind.

As an NQT, should I expect some form of communication to be taking place around this time to enable me to get off to a good start. Right now I feel like I've simply been employed and expected to get on with it.

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Look at the National Curriculum for the expected levels for 7,8 and 9 and prepare a basic outline for the first half term with a bit more detail for the first week - you'll be covering your expectations for presentation, homework, basic ground rules in the first lessons anyway. Give the office a ring and see if anyone knows if you've been allocated a mentor. I'd have thought someone would have been in touch but as they haven't I guess you just hang on and see what transpires. Don't panic - things will fall into place. Just pretend you know what you're doing, like everyone else does.

CalypsoDalma likes this.
  3. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

Your colleagues will probably talk you through some bits during the INSET day.

4. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

The first day back should be an INSET day, so that's when you'll be told about KS3. If the HOD hasn't prepared SOW they can at least tell you what topics they want covering, and you can find some stuff on TES to help you teach those topics.

Also ensure that there is some NQT provision in place - you need a mentor and regular meetings.

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've been teaching 20 years - I've never really known what I'm doing.

6. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

Ensure that your school registers you as an NQT with the appropriate body!

7. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

See this as a positive thing.

It might be that, far from just being disorganised and keeping you in the dark, they genuinely don't expect you to be spending your summer holiday on this (especially since, if you haven't started yet, they're not paying you yet). They want to you spend your summer relaxing, recharging your batteries,

Once you get to school for your inset there'll be enough in place, in terms of resources and/or support, to get you up and running.

This could just be a school which cares too much about its staff to expect them to do unpaid overtime during their holidays.

celago22 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Whilst you don't want to overdo it in the holidays, I do think it is a little unreasonable not to give an NQT enough to enable them to start planning over the summer - or at least doing background preparation (eg re-reading books they're going to be teaching for English). And generic planning from the NC might work in some subjects, but in others it could be a waste of time if they'll actually be expected to start with a particular topic.

With only one other person in the department, there's a risk that responsibility for getting you set up has fallen between two people (if they're not your mentor), so its not unreasonable to be asking. Ideally this would have been sorted in July, as of course most staff cannot be expected to work over the summer.

If you have email addresses for the relevant people, drop them a line, saying that you don't want to be a bother, but you'd like to do some preliminary planning, and it would be helpful to have a copy of the SoW, any textbooks, and any other information that might be useful. If you don't have the individuals' email addresses, try calling up tomorrow (there's often someone in this week because of results) and ask them if they're able to let you have them, or pass on a message. Bear in mind that those members of staff may be on holiday, and don't have to look at their emails until September, but hopefully they will see them before then.

9. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Don’t panic! This is normal. In primary they move us about all the time. I’m moving to a new year group and feel totally clueless but things always do settle down. You refer to ‘huge changes’ in the department. It may be a little daunting at the start, but I hope your colleague is pleasant and helpful to work with. Do come back on here and ask for more advice if you need it. If you have a few pounds to spare, CGP do good books for most subjects at KS3 which may help you with content. Good luck!