1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No fine for father who took his child to Disneyland in term time.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

The father argued that under the terms of the education act children are only required to attend school 'regularly'. He maintained that his child did. And he got off without a fine. I foresee a lot of parents arguing from this precedent and the end of fines for holidays in term time.

2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Good! I think this whole thing is using a sledge-hammer to crack a nut tbh - if the parents take kids out of school for holidays then it's also up to the parents to make sure their kids do the catch-up work - in their own time - and if they don't they can't complain if the kids don't make the grades.

3. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I'm also glad - it's been a bone of contention for parents ever since it was introduced and affects parent/school relations. Also, seems to be used as another way of teacher bashing. I've lost count of the times I've heard/read something along the lines of 'I can't take my child on holiday but you can go on strike whenever you feel like it.' (Substitute strike for take the class on trips/close the school for snow day/polling day/inset day etc...)

4. maurice-r

maurice-r Established commenter

Teachers aren't allowed to slope off for cheap holidays during school term, so parents and pupils shouldn't get away with it either.

5. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

That's the argument I used to use when taking my kids out for the week after Whit half term. They do attend "regularly" i.e. every day this year.

monicabilongame likes this.
  6. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I have always held that the old rule of up to 10 days off per year on holiday is about right. I know that many teachers will argue that little Johnny not being present will impact his grade etc but I also think kids have an 'entitlement' to a family holiday and teachers would do well to remember many people are paid far less than teachers and can only afford a decent holiday during term time.

If the Government have a problem with this then they should perhaps subsidise holidays in the school holidays perhaps by a small tax on holidays at other times if the travel companies won't budge (and its supply and demand so unfortunately they won't.)

For the record I had 15 days off in year 10 for family holidays (and did not sit my KS3 English SAT as I was on holiday!) and was the top performing student in Year 11 for GCSEs at my school.

smoothnewt likes this.
  7. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Although I will add that I 'pre caught' up with the work where teachers knew what topics were next before said holidays, there does have to be an expectation that kids will 'catch up' what they can if they do go on holiday during term time.

8. annie2010

annie2010 Occasional commenter

Absolutely agree with all of the above. What was the problem with term -time holidays being subject to the head teacher's discretion? They know the students and their circumstances.
    I remember thinking-when my children were younger- that , had I not been a teacher- I would have taken them out about a week before the summer holidays started. There is a big difference in price, and the last week or so is usually spent on various 'fun' activities.

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

No shortage of English-speaking school age kids at Disneyland Paris in the first couple of days of term this year. I know, I was there - the queue to cuddle Minnie Mouse was so full of them I couldn't get a look in.

Maybe next time eh Minnie?

kibosh, midnight_angel and foxtail3 like this.
  10. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

They can argue what they like but it isn't a precedent in the legal sense. It was a decision on the specific circumstances of that particular family at a local magistrates court on the Isle of Wight. Not a precedent any other court has to follow or take into account.

11. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Even if it is a precedent, the other issue is the requirement on schools to avieveca certain percentage attendance. I can quite see why parents would choose a term time holiday for financial reasons and there are those who are restricted to a particular time for their holiday entitlement that doesn't necessarily coincide with school holidays.

But I can foresee children being taken out of school for five or ten days and in sufficient numbers, that would reduce percentage attendance to below floor targets.

How will that be managed?

12. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

(MailOnline, 16th October 2015.)

Mr. Platt! Don't you realise that head-teachers own the children who attend their schools? How could you possibly know what is best for your children when you are not in our coven of professionals? You're only their father, for pity's sake!