1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No experience

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by nscarey, Nov 27, 2015.

1. nscarey

nscarey New commenter

Hi Theo

I was focusing on social work, as I done my Diploma in HSC and have voluntary experience, however I decided to lean more toward teaching and I completed my BA Education (Childhood & Youth) last year with no experience in teaching as I partied through uni without doing any type of placement or voluntary position. Now I think lack of experience could be preventing me from gaining a TA position. I really want to do a PGCE in the future but as of now I need a paid job rather than volunteer as living in London is not cheap. What would you suggest?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good gracious!

The university awarded you that degree without you doing any placements? How extraordinary.

However it may not just be the lack of experience, as T'As are appointed with none at all.

It may indeed be the competition. There are teachers leaving the profession but still wishing to work with children, and Heads are finding an increasing number of trained and experienced classroom teachers applying for these jobs.

And it may also be the quality of your application. Pop down to the Jobseekers forum and look at the pinned thread about the Professional Advice Hub. Read all the advice there about applying for a job in a school.

As for experience, voluntary work with children could be done by offering your services with a cub or brownie pack. The meetings are normally early evening so wouldn't clash with a daytime job, and finish early enough for you to party the night away.

If you haven't grown out of that yet.

;)

Best wishes