1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

no egg peppermint creams

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by crackingup, Jan 20, 2008.

1. I am sure there is a way of making them that doesn't involve egg, Can anyone help me?

2. I am sure there is a way of making them that doesn't involve egg, Can anyone help me?

3. you can used dried egg white powder, which you should be able to get in tesco or sainburys.

4. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

If you're trying to avoid using eggs, because of the mess then the suggestions in posts 2 to 3 would be great.

But if you are avoiding egg because you have children with egg allergies or vegan children in your group then neither would work. (The recipe in post 3 includes royal icing which includes egg white.)

There are quite a few vegan recipe websites, but I couldn't find peppermint creams. The closest was this one for peppermint ice, but it doesn't sound suitable to use with young children:

Peppermint Ice
    1 lb (455 g) raw cane sugar
    1/4 pint (140 ml) water
    1 teaspoonful peppermint essence

In a saucepan combine the sugar and water. Bring slowly to the boil, stirring continually to dissolve the sugar. Then lower the heat, but continue to boil (without stirring) for about 10 minutes. The syrup is ready when it reaches firm ball stage (temperature 247 deg F / 119 deg C).
    Remove from the heat immediately and stir in the peppermint essence, making sure it is well distributed through the syrup.
    Pour into a shallow ready greased tin, smooth the top with a knife, and leave to firm. Cut into squares when cold.

5. When I had to use egg free it was because a child was allergic to raw eggs- so the recipe using ready made icing was fine(checked with Mum first) - unfortunately there seem to be so many 'can'ts' at the moment when we are working with children!!

6. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

I always use

.ready to roll icing
    .peppermint essence
    .green colouring
    . choclate

we have a bit of icing each, a few drops of peppermint, and colouring if required
    children roll into spear shapes, then press down
    we melt chocolate and drip a bit on top then leave to set in fridge easy peasy.......

7. Trouble is that fondant icing (ready to roll) contains egg.

8. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

do you have to not use egg?

9. Shouldn't use uncooked egg because of risk of salmonella but egg powder is OK.

10. http://www.nurserynurseforum.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=91&Itemid=32

I've not tried it yet and still no good for vegans. (Health food shop has egg replacer we use in school..it's not brilliant for baking but probably ok for this.)

11. 1lb icing sugar
    4 tablespoons condensed milk
    a few drops oil of
    peppermint

Mix icing sugar and condensed milk to form a paste.
    Work a
    few drops of oil of peppermint in by hand.
    Roll out and stamp out small
    rounds (or any shape you like)
    Put on a tray and leave in a cool place to dry
    out.

12. I've made them with year one before just using
    icing sugar
    small amount of water (add a tablespoon at a time)
    peppermint flavourint

Worked pretty well actually - more like peppermint flavoured icing but the kids enjoyed them