1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No dirty nappy in five days...

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by goonergirl2009, Jan 11, 2011.

1. goonergirl2009

goonergirl2009 New commenter

Last Thursday my daughter had her second set of immunisations and since then has not done a dirty nappy. She is exclusively breastfed and I have read it can be normal for breastfed babies to go several days without producing a dirty nappy but she was producing several a day so the change is quite sudden! Her wind has become very smelly and she has been waking up in the night and kicking her legs/ grunting whereas before she was sleeping for 10-12 hours.
    Did this happen to anyone else's LO? Should I taker her to the doctors? It might have nothing to do with the immunisations but the two coincided!
    Thanks in advance for any reassurance/ advice!
    x

2. My daughter is 5 months and only goes once every 4 days or so, as she got older and older she went less and less.... Not sure what happened at what week, but she was still going a few times a day at the first set of jabs.
    As long as she is happy, sure it is no problem.
    You could also try tummy massage to help.

3. goonergirl2009

Thank you!
    x

4. ive gave my LO a few tea spoons of prune juice and it has helped???

5. We had exactly the same problem at the same age. Saw out of hours doc on the weekend and he gave a suppository which took several hours to work rather than the couple of minutes he said. Then saw the GP who prescribed lactulose and referred us. We shopped around as our 3 closest hospitals had a minimum wait of 9 weeks. By going 20 miles further we were seen the very next week.
    Pediatrician was not happy with the advice we had been given - at about this age the baby's digestive system becomes much more effective and as breast milk is so perfect for them there is very little waste, hence the lack of dirty nappies. LO shouldn't have had the suppository as his bowels were empty and he shouldn't have had the lactulose as his stools, when he did go, were not hard.
    He also said that the pain passing wind was more distressing for us than for the baby. His were also very smelly and I made a quick exit when I heard a little girl say there was a horrible smell in the middle of Asda!
    Since he has been on solids he is back to 3 or 4 dirty nappies a day, more if he has weetabix for breakfast. If you are worried though, see your GP to put your mind at rest.

6. Hi Gooner,
    We only have a dirty nappy every 5-7 days! It has been this way since she was born and all the midwives/ health visitors etc say that it's fine. Basically, it means they absorb absolutely everything. My LO is v heavy and apparently it's partly due to this, she is a very efficent eater who doesn't waste any of the lovely food I give her!
    She does seem to get a bit uncomfortable and grumpy towards the end of the 5-7 days but we try massage and generally wriggling her legs around in a cycling motion and things. This seems to do the trick and definitely makes her fart like a trooper, but it doesn't neccesarily make her poo!
    They are not classed as constipated unless the 'motions' are hard when they finally arrived, which is v unlikely in a breastfed baby.

7. goonergirl2009

Thanks to you all again!
    My main worry was that it was so different to Charlotte's routine of several in a day and that the change happened so quickly! I was beginning to worry that my milk was not enough for her as all the advice so far has been to 'check for plenty of wet and dirty nappies' and she has been so hungry in the last week!
    I called my HV and left a message yesterday morning but she did not (and still has not) called me back so I went to my GP who recommended giving her a bottle of cooled boiled water. I did this last night and still nothing! I have been 'cycling' her legs and massaging her tummy too. She is very happy though- it does not seem to be causing her pain!
    Charlotte has her swimming lesson in an hour- I have visions of a huge explosion in the pool!
    x

8. goonergirl2009

Hurray! It has arrived! I never thought I would be so happy to see a full nappy [​IMG] It happened on the way to swimming and covered her vest, clothes, coat and snowsuit but now I can stop worrying! Thank you again for the reassurance and advice!
    x