1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

'No Criminal Record' - Police Clearance Document from Abroad

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by missmuon, Nov 1, 2015.

  1. missmuon

    missmuon New commenter

    I am in China now, and intend to return in September 2016 to teach in the UK. I know that to work again in the UK I have to get the paper mentioned above from Chinese authorities. My school doesn't know where to start. Have you been in this situation, and got hold of this document? Can you help?
  2. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    I am not sure that I can be of much help, but when I was in the UAE and in Qatar, it was simply a matter of going along to your local copshop. You asked for an official-looking piece of paper, to say that you had not been a naughty boy, and they gave you one a few days later. Usually you have to pay some money, but it was not a lot. My guess is that the HR people at your present school, missmuon, would be able to sort this out for you. As long as it is written in Mandarin, it has your photo on it and it looks very official, then most probably The Powers-That-Be back in the UK are going to accept it. Of course it would be sensible (and cheaper) to get a translation done while you are still in China.
    MathSci likes this.
  3. AshgarMary

    AshgarMary New commenter

    I got one in Egypt in June - went to the local police station on a Saturday morning, finger prints electronically scanned, went back to collect it the next day. It's in Arabic. I contacted the DBS place about translation and they said they don't require it and it's up to your new employers if they want to have it translated or not! As I was under time-pressure, I didn't get it translated in Egypt which would have cost about £8 - expect it will be a lot more if I need to get it translated here.
    I did get one via the Egyptian Consulate in London about 5 years ago - took months to come and was expired by the time it did.
    I googled and found this:
    "If you wish to obtain a criminal record clearance from the Chinese authorities, you will need to apply for a Certificate of No Criminal Record (Wu Fan Zui Ji Lu Zheng Ming 外国人无犯罪记录证明) from the Chinese authorities. The British Embassy and Consulates-General cannot provide such a certificate for your time in China." on this page which gives a few more details on where to go to get it.
    MathSci likes this.
  4. AshgarMary

    AshgarMary New commenter

    Scroll up the page a bit from where that link lands you.
    MathSci likes this.
  5. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    Some very helpful and practical advice from AshgarMary.
    MathSci likes this.
  6. missmuon

    missmuon New commenter

    Thank you, AshgarMary and the hippo for your kind advice. Now I have the task of pushing the HR guy here. OMG!
  7. stormyday

    stormyday New commenter

    When I left China to return to the UK, the school HR department organised my Police Clearance Certificate. I gave them my passport and the equivalent of £25 and, within a couple of weeks, they returned my certificate to me, stamped with a copy in Chinese and English.
    Good luck.
    MathSci likes this.
  8. sofia_sen

    sofia_sen Occasional commenter

    Mine was done in India. It is a simple letter from the police saying that I have been of good conduct (or something similar to that) with my picture and lots of important looking stamps.
    A friend of mine got it done for me because I had already moved to the UK. Better get it done while you are still there. Good luck!
    MathSci likes this.
  9. miss303

    miss303 New commenter

    Just as Stormyday said, I paid a small amount of money and handed in my passport. The whole process took my school a week. Being in a 3rd tier city meant I also had to drink tea with the chief of police and hand over some cigarettes but I have a document in Chinese and English stating I had not convictions during the length of my residence visa.
    MathSci likes this.
  10. harsh-but-fair

    harsh-but-fair Star commenter

    Having read this thread I am reassured that the system is watertight ...
    MathSci likes this.
  11. february31st

    february31st Established commenter

    PM me an email address and I will send you a copy of the document you need, it will also need to be officially translated into English.

    It may take you 3 office trips to get completed, Central Police Station of the District you live in, Notary Office for Stamping and official translation office. Get at least 5 copies as you will need them in every country you may want to work in!(The Notary Office may be able to offer the translation service)
    MathSci likes this.
  12. MisterMaker

    MisterMaker Occasional commenter

    Whilst getting a police certificate is the safer bet in the long run, it is not a legal requirement in the UK, yet. You're more likely to find the agencies chasing after them than actual schools, as it is the agencies that were criticised in the past for not doing rigorous checks. Kiddie fiddlers aren't employed in normal schools, apparently, so it is OK to just use standard DRB checks.
    MathSci likes this.
  13. february31st

    february31st Established commenter

    You may find that you do need a Police Clearance Certificate from countries you have worked in to gain employment in a state run school in the UK.

    To many instances of teachers been convicted of crimes in other countries and returning to the UK and continuing their criminal activities. There is no automatic notification of the conviction of British Nationals to the Embassy unless the individual does so themselves! The standard DRB check assumes you have only lived and worked in the UK.

    Here in Shanghai with my present employer you will need to provide a Police Clearance for the UK and every country you have worked in going back at least 10 years, especially if you have been working in the flesh pots of Asia.
  14. ndugu

    ndugu New commenter

    At my last UK school, a colleague had to go through the process of getting police checks done for all the countries she had worked in. As the wife of a diplomat she had taught in quite a few countries. It was quite a challenge to get the checks for all the countries and as mentioned above, the cost of getting them done in the UK was far more expensive than doing it the actual country. Some schools in the UK are now insisting on them to ensure their records for Child Protection processes are complete.
  15. spanboy

    spanboy Occasional commenter

    it's a bit of a joke document here in Spain - you fill in the form, take it to the relevant office, they stamp it, you take it to the bank to pay 3/4 euros and get it stamped 'paid', you take it back to the office and within 10 minutes you have your piece of paper. Whole thing takes about 40 minutes. I can only presume they check that you've had no basic criminal activity during your life in Spain? Teachers coming from UK can't believe how easy it is, having been used to the more thorough process back in Blighty!
  16. rachel_g41

    rachel_g41 Established commenter

    I always assumed that the special check for teachers (and similar) was supposed to be a more thorough one. However the last one I got done gave me the impression that the teachers version was a lesser one, that it ONLY checked for child protection issues and nothing else.
    I imagine that in most countries (and maybe even the UK as well) it's no more than a check of computer records. Does it really take much longer than that in the UK to do the actual check?

Share This Page