1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No cover for PPA time

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by marianne_chantal, Dec 12, 2017.

1. marianne_chantal

marianne_chantal New commenter

i work in and ASD base where ratios should be 2:1. I have 2 fabulous TAs however my HT can't/won't cover the last 30 minutes of my PPA time (no money!). This means for me to take my full time I have to leave 6 children with 2 TAs - I often don't have it as due to nature of the children there maybe be a number of meltdowns happening. Any advice -getting fed up of not having my time. I job share and at the moment neither of us have covered PPA time- come Jan my job share will,but I won't (I do 40%).

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

If you are on STPCD PPA is a contractual and statutory duty on the school. "no money" does not justify breach of statutory duty. Have you consulted your union? If informal discussion involving your union rep does not resolve this the next formal step would be to bring a grievance.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

So you're setting the tasks AND working with the kids.

No.

Are you in a union? Approach them.

If the HT can't or won't get cover then the HT can direct the TAs. I make it sound easy. I know it's not. Just tell the HT as nicely as you can that you'll be doing your PPA in a room far, far away from the classroom and that the TAs are awaiting his/her instructions.

4. marianne_chantal

marianne_chantal New commenter

My concern is the staffing level - my TAs do their best to ensure I get my PPA, however the staffing ratio then becomes 1:3 as oppsed to the 1:2 we operate on. Neither of them are HLTAs and it is more what happens if something goes wrong!

5. Lucilla90

Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

If you’re 0.4 then, presumably, that means you teach around 10 hours and are entitled to at least one hour PPA. If you are missing half an hour, that’s half your PPA!

Your head has no choice other than to ensure that all staff have their PPA...it is a statutory entitlement. TAs shouldn’t have to be “doing their best” to cover it, it is the Head’s responsibility.

I have been in situations where these types of problems were made worse by some members of staff feeling obliged to give up their PPA, for various reasons, and being afraid to refuse. Hence, anyone who tried to stand their ground about it was made to feel like they were at fault, or in some way lacking commitment.

Teachers fought for years to get this entitlement in place, we should all ensure we don’t let SLT take it away from us. Anyone who thinks of saying “ It’s okay, I will give up my PPA just this once...” is causing damage to this entitlement for others. (It’s so hard, though when you are concerned about pupil safety).This impacts on work-life balance. Sorry...adding my rant to your concerns.

sabrinakat likes this.