1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

NO CONTRACT AFTER JOB OFFER BEEN WATING 3 MONTHS???

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by rambo12, Apr 18, 2011.

  1. Would you trust this school A after waiting 3 months?
    I have verbally agreed to start the position but I have no contract.
    I have not signed anything and I am fed up waiting. opinions?...
    Wouldnt want any nasty changes when I arrived at said school.
    During the last month I have had another offer from school B which is a better school and a better package. They are also willing to exchange contracts this week.

    Would you just bin school A and take school Bs offer?...
    I feel I have been patient enough?...
    Advice welcome.
    Thanks! : ).


     
  2. groovybob

    groovybob New commenter

    <font size="2">if you have had a verbal offer then in my opinion you are passed that "leaving a polite distance between you and the school until they contact you" phase. Have you tried contacting the head or HOD that gave you the offer?</font>
    <font size="2"></font> <font size="2">You are wondering if you have not heard anything because there has been a change of plans or a failing in normal communication method. Because you have had another offer that is second to theirs but you still need to make a final decision. If the original offer is still active it will light a fire under them, if it is not you will find out it is safe to accept the other offer.</font>
    <font size="2"></font> I hope this makes sence?
     
  3. groovybob

    groovybob New commenter

    <font size="2">sense! </font><font size="2">sorry to all those spelling Nazis out there!!!</font>
    [​IMG]
     
  4. When appointed they said they would send the contract out in 2 weeks time. After 3 weeks I contacted them again and they said the contract would be with me the following week. It still never appeared.
    The head has contacted me twice with regards to my teaching timetable around 6 weeks later and I asked about my contract. I was told again it would be sent next week.
    Then after 8 weeks I contacted the head by phone and he said I would have the contract the following week, still no contract.
    I stopped applying for other positions as I had made a verbal agreement with the head regarding my duties and package I was to be offered.
    I am an honest person and have always honoured all verbal agreements and contracts in the past. However I feel they are now taking the mickey.
    I would now just like to withdrawal as I have a much better offer elsewhere. If I had a contract from school A signed and sealed I wouldnt be contemplating re-jecting it for the much better school B.
    Do you think I am being ethical if I re-ject school As verbal offer after 3 months?
    I do have more than myself to consider?
    Thanks for your advice.

     
  5. groovybob

    groovybob New commenter

    I&rsquo;d say you're well within your rights to dump school A and go with school B.
    A verbal agreement isn't worth the paper it&rsquo;s not written on! And it will serve school A right for not making sure that someone can do a simple thing like print off a document and put it in the post.
    Would you want to work for an establishment like that anyway? What if that was your pay cheque that is not 3 months late!!!???
     
  6. Perhaps it is a blessing in disguise. If you had signed a contract it would be unethical to reverse on that, but given the school has messed you around and left you with uncertainty...I know what choice I would make! I imagine that this should put the wind up them and get their act together for other staff that are possibly in the same position.


    All the best!
     
  7. Go with B.
     
  8. bbibbler

    bbibbler New commenter

    I would write to school A saying that you are concerned that they still have not formalised the offer made.

    Try to make it sound like you are still wanting to work for them, in the letter make it clear that if you do not get a contract by Friday, you will start looking for jobs elsewhere.


     
  9. I would definitely tell school A that you have another job offer and if you haven't had the contract in the next few days you'll have to go elsewhere. Sometimes you have to think about number 1... because a lot of schools keep their options open in case enrollments are down. Anyhow, a contract internationally is generally not worth the paper it's written on for the employee, but for the employer it means the earth!
     
  10. gulfgolf

    gulfgolf Established commenter

    Agreed overall.
    Almost any reasonable person would say it's now appropriate to cut your ties.
    However, since a) you seem to be a very ethical person and b) the school has been in contact with you a couple times and reaffirmed their commitment, albeit without a contract, I suggest that you do as the other posters have suggested:
    Give them one last chance, in writing, with a clear and pressing deadline, to send you a contract; make sure they know you will be moving on if it doesn't appear on time. If they don't send it, Bob's your uncle. If they do, and it is signed, and it meets all the salary and benefit and working conditions points you agreed on verbally, than sign it and go with them. It would be the honorable thing to do. If anything's fishy about the contract, walk away.
    If you were hired through any sort of agency, you should also copy the agency on any communication with the school on this point. Make it clear that you've waited months for a contract that was promised to take only weeks, so that if a stink is raised, you don't fall in it.
    You might also let the other school know about the situation before you sign, making it clear that you have acted responsibly. The worst possible outcome in your situation would be that you would ditch school A, sign with school B, who then are told by school A that you had an agreement with them (verbal acceptance being binding in this int'l school world of ours), so that school B then ditches you, school A ditches you, and your recruiting company ditches you. Ouch. None of this has to happen of course, but you need to make sure you cover yourself with clear written comunication to all parties.
     
  11. I had to wait near 2 months for my first International contract. I had a firm verbal agreement and I trusted that. Also the school had a good reputation and from all the research I did, they seemed to treat their staff well (which they did).
    During this wait, it included me emailing the admin dept and enquiring, without getting any reply back! By near the end of the 2nd month I was getting very worried as I had no other job to rely on. Sure enough though, after phoning the school and talking with the director, the contract soon arrived by courier.
    While the school was good and I really enjoyed working there, the admin department were not the fastest and I found to get anything done you had to really chase it up and act like everything was an emergency! However, it was the nature of the country I was going to. Perhaps your situation maybe similar?
    Personally, I'd do the same, call the school today, speak to the director and express your concern. I wouldn't mention other options yet as many directors feel a verbal agreement is binding. Word sometimes gets around when people change their minds last minute. However, if after calling and the contract does not arrive in the next few days then I'd jump ship. It doesnt take long for DHL and thats how most contracts are sent. Gotta look after #1 after all..
     
  12. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    Having to wait for your contract for a week or two is a bit annoying, I suppose. More annoying is when you find that you eagerly-awaited contract is just a useless piece of paper and there is nothing that you can do about it.
     
  13. Thank you for all the posters who have offered advice!
    I think I have been patient enough. I will tell school A to shove it up there A-HOLE! ha ha
    Wouldnt want to work for a place that cant even get a contract sorted. I have never had a problem with contracts before.
    I m not going to risk waiting until its to late to find out they have cut my salary or reduced the housing allowance etc. Especially as I still have plenty of time to secure something else for next year.
    School B it is!
    [​IMG]


     
  14. I agree Hippo its not nice! I have a few friends that that has happened to. Its a ruthless game on the international scene isnt it!
     
  15. Contact School A by email/fax/letter/ and tell tham thanks but no thanks, you cant hang around for the contract anymore. If they are messing u around now, wait till u actually get there, u will be chasing ur pay that was 'sent' to u 3 months later!

    contact school B by email/fax/letter and sign contract before it goes to someone else.

    If you wait too long u wont have school A or B and u will have to look for school C.
     
  16. Re-jected the offer from school A and accepted school B earlier this week!
    School A was most displeased!
    Well they shouldnt have had be in limbo for 3 and a half months.
    Serves themselves right!
    Dont feel in the slightest guilty either!

     
  17. happygreenfrog

    happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

    Well done! I don't think I would have even told School A after the way they had acted, but rather let them discover it themselves through time. How I would have smiled as their emails got more and more desperate.
     
  18. percy topliss

    percy topliss Occasional commenter

    Well done Rambo, I think that some schools have become a little smug in the way that they treat teachers so it is nice to see someone standing up for themselves. Where was the school by the way? I may have missed it in the thread but do not think so....
     
  19. I would have told them EXACTLY why I had done it so they could stew in a juice of their own making and maybe realise that teachers are not commodities to be taken for granted. Then perhaps the next recruit would get a bit better treatment.
     
  20. happygreenfrog

    happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

    I was thinking along the same lines yet thought a drawn out delay of 3 months, the exact time they had kept the OP waiting, would have been a little icing on the cake!

     

Share This Page