1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No contact from school

Discussion in 'Staff, pupil & parent's wellbeing' started by doctorinthetardis, May 19, 2020.

1. doctorinthetardis

doctorinthetardis New commenter

Hello, I'm feeling really anxious about the schools reopening. I haven't had any information from my school since the government advice came out last weekend and no responses to my emails to my headteacher. I'm not sure how to proceed and get any reassurances about what the plan is.

2. Outdoorman

Outdoorman New commenter

Hello
    Are you primary or secondary?
    May be you could send an email to one of the other SLT members, deputy head(s), your SLT leader.
    may be they have some news for you

3. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

Just wait. It's a very complex thing to sort out and school heads are busy. Nobody knows exactly how or when it will work out and in any case all schools will be different and it's a question of taking things slowly and carefully to obtain the best outcomes for all concerned.

Be patient. Take the time, especially when the weather is good, to relax in mind and body, and do what you can to prepare in general terms for when you next have contact with your students.

Don't panic. Don't only listen to negativity, but find the positives - they are always there. Don't listen to the politically-motivated shrieking of the trouble-causers.

And don't worry. Worry never achieves anything positive.

4. Symingtons

Symingtons Occasional commenter

Surely with nearly 2 weeks before the Government's chosen opening day, you don't need to get ready or worry now? Remember this date will change if Covid cases & the 'R' figure go up before then.

Jonntyboy likes this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

It's half term next week, so really only three working days until we reopen or we don't.

Government decision is expected on 28th May, so there won't be anything definite yet.

ACOYEAR8 likes this.
  6. doctorinthetardis

Having had no contact at all is making me very anxious. As said above, its half term next week and I have literally no idea what's going on. I assumed we would be kept updated but literally haven't had any emails and there has been no response to the emails I sent which I think is quite rude. I'm seeing all kinds of advice and suggestions online and it seems many schools are keeping their staff informed of their plans or at least what is going on re risk assessments etc. Not having heard anything is making me feel really stressed

7. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Have you been maintaining teaching in some way?

8. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Thought they weren't using that now? I would have expected schools to keep in touch, especially as surely most teachers are either in some days, or have been set some tasks to do? I imagine different unions are issuing guidance.

9. doctorinthetardis

Yes I have been in on the rota once a week since lockdown. Nothing was said to me last week and haven't been in yet this week. Last week, Head was busy in office and measuring things out round school. I was in classroom with children. I emailed to ask for an update as I was surprised there hadnt been one but haven't received a response since I sent it several days ago. Have also asked my line manager but no answers coming from them either.

10. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

If this is the case, it's is completely unlike what's happening at my school, or what seems to be happening at others within which I have colleague contacts.
    There may be specific issues at your school that are taking up an excess of time for those in charge that you can't/don't know about.

My advice is still the same: relax when you can, don't worry. You have emailed for information, which is all that you can reasonably do.
    I'm sure it will be forthcoming in due time.
    Enjoy the sunshine! :)

sammmymac likes this.
  11. BoldAsBrass

BoldAsBrass Occasional commenter

Try not to worry - I spoke with my Head last week with very firm plans about how school was going to open and what I would be required to do. Then yesterday, they published an information letter to parents and what we discussed on Friday cannot now happen, so all plans have changed but I haven't yet been informed, No staff meeting this week to update either - next staff date will be end of May to discuss further plans. I can't see the 1st June being a viable option for many schools as it stands. I really feel for the SLTs , with constantly changing advice from DfE etc. They cannot provide a clear picture, when the goalposts keep altering. Typical educational shizzle!

12. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

Our school has an INSET day today and is going to be briefing teachers today and I guess they are then expected to put everything in place over half term. It's a really anxious time for everybody.

13. bevriv

bevriv New commenter

Have you tried asking your colleagues?

14. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Schools can only do so much until definitive directives/advice arrives on 28th May. I only hope there's somebody on the advisory panel who has physically been in a school during the last year or so.
    Schools are very much accustomed to creating plans and putting them into actions. The govt don't have this kind of experience so they'll assume we'll be able to do everything when the alarm clock goes off on Monday 1st.