1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No confidence

Discussion in 'Primary' started by s0700452, Jul 20, 2011.

1. I have always been a very sensitive person and worry about what people think about me. However since I have started my NQT year this year, I have found my confidence plummet. I have discovered that this particular primary school is rather bitchy and many members of staff huddle together to whisper about other members of staff. I am very aware I have little confidence and also very aware that my behaviour management is not great, which I am trying to work on. However I feel I am always being judged and I don't like this. I compare myself regularly to the other teachers looking at them wishing I could teach like they can. I was told today by a teacher that my body language is showing I lack confidence. I am at a real low and starting to worry about next year when I will meet my new class. I feel I have really messed up this year, especially with my behaviour management, and I don't want to repeat my mistakes. I am not sure what to do

2. I have always been a very sensitive person and worry about what people think about me. However since I have started my NQT year this year, I have found my confidence plummet. I have discovered that this particular primary school is rather bitchy and many members of staff huddle together to whisper about other members of staff. I am very aware I have little confidence and also very aware that my behaviour management is not great, which I am trying to work on. However I feel I am always being judged and I don't like this. I compare myself regularly to the other teachers looking at them wishing I could teach like they can. I was told today by a teacher that my body language is showing I lack confidence. I am at a real low and starting to worry about next year when I will meet my new class. I feel I have really messed up this year, especially with my behaviour management, and I don't want to repeat my mistakes. I am not sure what to do

3. Ktee

Ktee New commenter

Next year is a whole new start so take a deep breath, relax and use the Summer Holidays for a proper break. Your NQT year can be very stressful and until you find your own personal style of behaviour management, it can be challenging controlling certain behaviours in the classroom. There's nothing you can do about bitchy staff unfortunately, you find people like that in lots of schools, but there is something you can do about your behaviour management.

Is there anyone in school you could ask for pointers/ tips?? Am thinking your NQT mentor or someone on Leadership team? Depending on what type of school you are in and the sorts of behaviours your challenged with will depend how you want to move on. There a really good book called "Getting the *** to behave" by Sue Cowley that has some good tips. The key thing to remember is that children do pick up on how you're feeling. If you walk into that classroom with your head held high and are calm, consistent and fair then no matter how you are feeling inside they will respond better to you.

Don't be too hard on yourself, your not the only person to have felt like this and there are lots of people who I'm sure would be more than happy to help you.

Two more days :)

4. Sorry to hear you feel like this, I think we all do at times! If there are people being negative then shame on them, it's wholly unprofessional. You need a good mentor, someone you can confide in and gain strength from, if your mentor is not giving you this, request a change. Even though you are no longer an NQT an experienced teacher mentor is invaluable. Over the holidays, think about what you feel pleased with this year and proud of. Work from those events/lessons that you know in your heart you did well and succeeded with. It's a tough job in many ways, but very rewarding once you feel you can do it, but that's the crucial element, YOU have to feel you can. Good luck

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

You ought to read the responses in this thread - hopefully they will give you some peace of mind:
    http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/506885.aspx
    Remember, it is the very end of your first year and you must be very tired - as is everyone in school! Hopefully after the summer break you will feel more refreshed and will be able to start the new school year with some confidence.
    Make sure you have some early nights before you break up from school - it all seems so much worse when you are tired.
    Well done for surviving your first year! [​IMG]

6. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I'm sensitive as well, so I can understand your worries, but do make sure that you are not thinking things when they're not actually there (if you know what I mean). Don't compare yourself to other teachers; they are more experienced than you, so are obviously going to be working differently. Don't think about being under scrutiny; it's possible you are but then you are an NQT and your behaviour management will improve over time. If the school is concerned about you, they will help you (or should - if they don't, contact your union).
    With regards to your body language, you can work on that over the holidays. Stand up straight, make eye contact and smile. Perhaps there are books or advice on the internet to help you develop a more confidennt feel in how you present yourself.
    Don't worry too much, if you can. Try and find someone at school that you can talk to, someone who isn't being bitchy, because that support will help. As for behaviour management, try a Bill Rogers book and choose a couple of strategies to use for the first half-term before you go back.
    Good luck with it all. I'm sure you will find it all becomes much easier with time. Keep me posted.