1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

no chance

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by aweld, May 29, 2010.

1. ive been working as an nqt in a school with 3 other nqts covering maternity for a variety fo post.i have felt as though i havent been supported by my mentor (the head teacher). The head has actually encouraged me to look for jobs when i asked if there would be a job for me next year. this friday two positions were opened for application internally. however the two year groups advertised were for the year groups the other NQT's are in. i told the head teacher its obvious that i am not in the runnings and i do not feel like i should apply. the head told me that they couldnt tell me that but someone else could ( if this was a fair application between the three surely they would have said) another teacher spoke to me about it and said why would they put you in a year group where the other nqts are currently doing a good job? If the school wanted me there surely they could have advertised my year group.
    it is obvious to me that i am no the teacher they want i have felt like that for months, im not looking forward to finishing my NQT year there or not having a job somewhere else for next year. 4interviews in 1 week no jobs. so im keeping my fingers crossed.
    dont understand why i have been singled out as a teacher they do not want. advise?

2. ive been working as an nqt in a school with 3 other nqts covering maternity for a variety fo post.i have felt as though i havent been supported by my mentor (the head teacher). The head has actually encouraged me to look for jobs when i asked if there would be a job for me next year. this friday two positions were opened for application internally. however the two year groups advertised were for the year groups the other NQT's are in. i told the head teacher its obvious that i am not in the runnings and i do not feel like i should apply. the head told me that they couldnt tell me that but someone else could ( if this was a fair application between the three surely they would have said) another teacher spoke to me about it and said why would they put you in a year group where the other nqts are currently doing a good job? If the school wanted me there surely they could have advertised my year group.
    it is obvious to me that i am no the teacher they want i have felt like that for months, im not looking forward to finishing my NQT year there or not having a job somewhere else for next year. 4interviews in 1 week no jobs. so im keeping my fingers crossed.
    dont understand why i have been singled out as a teacher they do not want. advise?

3. To be honest if the situation is that bad it sounds like you're lucky that you're not going to have a job there next year. My NQT year (last year) was a living hell due to bullying by my HOD but I got through it. I then carried on at the school thinking "things have to get better now I'm not an NQT" but it got worse. I was signed on the sick in Feb and as of the beginning of May, resigned to do supply. I'm sooo much better out of there.
    Do you have any specific targets? Are there things which are "do-able" or are your targets unreachable? Is there anyone else in the school you could speak to confidentially - your union rep or HOD etc.?
    It's important that you get through your NQT year though. I know it will be hard being in that situation and being so unhappy but if you don't complete it you can't teach again after that. But in 6 weeks time at the end of term you're out and can move on with your life without having to give up teaching. Good luck.

4. taken me all weekend to get the thought into my head that sometimes head teachers have who they want in mind despite of how good a teacher you are. it has made me cross that as my mentor the head teacher has not pushed me to get better. I do beleive there is a school out there for me that wants to develop me as a teacher rather than allow me to carry on regardless.
    i do have targets and everytime i achieve them i am not praised except more targets are produced without recognising my achievement. it is very irritating that i have tried so hard but it has not been noted.
    i feel that i do have the confidence to get through my nqt year its just how other staff will react to me. I did think i belonged at that school and the staff are so friendly so its hard to believe that i am not wanted
    hopefully i will find a job soon where my abiltiy is valued. otherswise supply it is and as you said it is better than being somewhere you do not want to be

5. Is there really a problem here? The school have had their maternity leave covered and you've completed your NQT year (a big hurdle if jobs are scarce).

As for the vacancies, it could be that the Head doesn't feel you're right for the school and s/he has tried to say this nicely. Or it could be that there's not a position with your year group and this doesn't reflect on you at all. I don't think it's worth dwelling on, either way you know where you stand and can concentrate on finding a new job.

6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I have been interviewed for posts, and not got them. I've been interviewed for jobs and been successful. No point in beating yourself up about the less good ones.
    Your head has to disappoint one of the three of you. Maybe you're jumping the gun in assuming that you'll be the disappointed one. The interview is a chance to show them what you can offer.
    Anyway, good luck with the job hunting. If you've hit your targets make sure that you get them into your CV.
    Best wishes,
    P

7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I do hope that your spelling, punctuation and grammar at work are better than those in your posts. I work on the basis that correctness in such things needs to be present at all times with the possible exception of written messages on those portable telephones where the difficulty of typing excuses one from some of the grammatical norms.
    I do not normally criticise other posters - but your prose was particularly difficult to follow - and didn't enhance your case.
    P

8. Honestly, is it really necessary to kick someone whilst they are down - this poster is clearly having a tough time and looking for some help, not abuse. I could follow the post perfectly fine.
    To OP - good luck finding a job.

9. And may I direct you to bullet point two of theTES forum's guide to etiquette, which suggests that posters don't criticise another user's spelling or grammar. Seriously: how rude, patronising and unhelpful! This is a professional forum, not a place for you to 'teach' other adults. Don't post at all if you can do nothing but make sneering comments. Incidentally, I teach English and found the post absolutely fine. https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storyCode=6000099
    OP: I hope you are feeling a bit better.

10. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

While I understand your comment on correcting another poster's grammar, you cannot seriously think that the grammar used in the original post was correct.

11. Does it really matter? The post wasn't asking for help with grammar, it was asking for help with a personal problem. Therefore, to reply with a post that contains nothing but criticisms of spelling is entirely unhelpful.
    Just a thought: imagine going to visit a doctor or counsellor to seek advice about something which is troubling you, and their only reponse to you is a declaration that when describing your problem, you used too much slang and phrased a few things badly. They wouldn't give you any advice - just listen to you, then criticise you. Wouldn't that be really, really helpful?

12. I think I am with Peter on this one. One would suspect that the OP was feeling quite emotional when they typed the original post and maybe were not paying much attention to capital letters or general accuracy. Clearly they are upset about not being offered the job and one can understand that. In general, though, accuracy is a good thing but we all make mistakes.
    Unfortunately, someone was always going to be disappointed and in this case that was the OP. I hope they quickly find a suitable job in a place that will suit them better. Maybe pastures new will do the trick. Good luck and best wishes with it - it's always daunting when you start out and it does not always go according to plan but you can pick yourself up and be even more successful. Take care.

13. Thank you for those who supported me in my origional post. Yes i was on a rant due to the distress that was occuring during this time, so apologies for my poorly written post. However, I am never going to get it right all the time, along with the millions of other people who write the same as me, no one is perfect.
    Good news I got a brilliant new job this year that started in November. However, again I have only managed to get maternity cover. Recently heard news that the atmosphere in my previous school is awful and the 'low down' from the cluster of head teachers is that my head teacher from my last school isn't much to worry over. My next plan is to travel and get a job abroad :) .
    Thanks again.

14. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Finding somewhere that you fit always fits one better :) Well done you.

15. laticsbird

laticsbird New commenter

I haven't been on here for a while and this thread is one that caught my eye. It also reminded me of why I don't post all that often.
    It's a pity that too many people are more concerned with spelling and grammar than that of offering solutions/ideas/help with people's problems.
    In this case, the OP just wanted a listening ear and a bit of friendly advice and support. To be met with " I work on the basis that correctness in such things needs to be present at all times with the possible exception of written messages on those portable telephones where the difficulty of typing excuses one from some of the grammatical norms" isn't particularly helpful.
    Incidentally, if we are being pedantic, I could comment on this particular example of sentence construction - it does ramble somewhat.
    That said, we all make mistakes - we are only human[​IMG]
    Finally, to the OP, I'm glad everything's turning out OK for you, hun[​IMG]

16. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

I'm with Karvol - the gammar and spelling in the opening post were awful; not just keyboard errors but things that really should stop someone from passing the QTS English test.
    Laticsbird, even if you ignore the spelling and grammar, there's enough in this thread to mean I wouldn't want to interview the person for a job at my school - why should I want someone who has to have her hand held and says that it made her cross that "the head teacher has not pushed [her] to get better". Any motivated individual would push themselves to get better! As for results being met with more targets, welcome to teaching!
    Sorry if this sounds really negative, but honesty is better than beating around the bush. It's great that the OP has a job now, but for future interviews, a little bit of self confidence and motivation goes a long way.