1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No Bursaries 2011

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by joinlondon, Feb 1, 2011.

1. With the abolishment of the training bursary ,will anyone be withdrawing from the application process?
    I know that while my place is not confirmed I won't be able to do the PGCE anymore as I have been working and needed some income to keep a room over my head and food on the table.I saved some money towards not having an income for a year but not enough.!

2. I need to sit down and work it all out. Depends on the other student finance still available (or not!)

3. I will do whatever I need to to do this. In some respects I am luckier than others because I have children so will additional help, it's going to be tough, incredibly so, but I can't let anything get in my way!!

4. L2T

L2T

I'm not going to withdraw from the process. I have been saving up for 2 years - which covers the bursary I now won't get. It's a shame this money I've saved will now just get swallowed up to meet living costs. I have 2 children too, so some of this money was going to fund some extra hours of childcare if need be. It's going to be so tight. I'm not going to let it ruin my chances of becoming a teacher though - if anything it will make me more determined!

5. I just think it wouldn't hurt to give us something towards living costs...I've paid into the Government coffers for the last 18 years, never claimed any Jobseekers allowance, or had hand-outs...surely even the equivalent of the dole would be a small gesture towards the earnings I'm giving up?...

6. Well said L2T i'm not going to withdraw either, it will be tight and a difficult year but I can't imagine them adding the bursary again any time soon.The sooner trained the better so this government doesnt stuff any more things up or make it even harder. The thing im focusing now is that they don't cut my course all togehter!

7. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

"They" are currently spending more than £150 billion more each year then they "earn".
    In that context, you can either say that a few extra billion here or there to pay for training teachers who may well not be able to find a job in a year's time is neither here nor there, or it's not a priority and should be cut back so that the debt (increasing by £150 billion each year remember) might possibly be limited one day.
    The condems say they believe the cutting back should be the priority.

8. As you say it looks like the PGCE numbers have been decided on, so we should get some decisions soon. Links to letter
    from Gove on the TDA website- link here (dated 31 January 2011) -->
    http://www.tda.gov.uk/about/latest-announcements/itt-places-bursaries-2011-12.aspx
    http://www.tda.gov.uk/~/media/resources/about/letter_from_michael_gove_to_tda_on_teacher_training_places.pdf Looks
    like there are some winners and lucky people (maths, physics, chemistry, engineering,
    biology, general science and modern languages) and some losers
    (everybody else!). Good bye to the golden hello. Now we'll just wait to see
    what the fees will be....

9. You can still apply for the maintenance loans and grants.
    I am in the same situation, the thought of having to return to student living after working for a number of years is crushing, however there is help out there and I have done the maths and it will be a struggle, but it is do able.

Remember its only 9 months,

My opinion is it a step back financially (i am settled down, have a house, bills etc) but it will be well worth it in the future.

10. I bet all us Humanities-types are wishing we'd all done the maths, now, too! I see the physicists, chemists and mathematicians are still highly valued at £9k.
    It won't serve society to have us all crouching over bunsen burners, though!

11. If it's a dream and teaching is a passion, then surely anyone would do anything to do the course. MA and PhD (Arts) students don't do it for money - they do it because they enjoy their subject and many don't receive any funding.
    There's the maintenance loan ~£3.5k (and the grant if you're eligible), the tutition fee loan to cover the costs of the fees, and then you can always get a Career Development Loan and a interest free student overdraft of around £2-3k. All that doesn't need paying off until you've finished the course.
    I understand some can't get loans/or that much simply wouldn't be enough - but like they say, where there's a will, there's a way.

12. Exactly,
    The bursarys been cut is terrible but as people have said everyone who is passionate and dedicated will find a way through it =]
    student loans arent too bad if your lucky enough to get them, and like thomas.allison said there are career development loans and student overdrafts.....