1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No appraisal targets!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Department_feeder, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Department_feeder

Department_feeder New commenter

Hi...

In September I joined a new school. I'm really not happy here but that's a different story altogether.

My main concern at the moment is that I do not have any appraisal targets (none of us do). I am looking to apply elsewhere for September but am concerned that my lack of targets will have an impact on my pay progression. I have a TLR at the moment and, if I make pay progression, would be able to take the loss of the TLR pay (I'm that desperate to get out). If I don't make pay progression, then it will be quite a cut.

Colleagues have said it could work either way - if I have no targets, then there's no reason to not award pay progression but equally there's no reason to award either?

My head is an incredibly tricky character and I'm just not sure how to approach this.

Thanks

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

3. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

I don't know if my experience will have a bearing on you but -
    I moved into a HoD position in my new school - the old HoD didn't do any paperwork or formal PM objective setting etc. for the department, so essentially we have just drawn a line under it and started again - you cannot penalise the staff for the school/management's oversight. When I went through the threshold, passing your PM was a part of it, but you also had to demonstrate the competencies for the level you were entering. If you have a TLR already this should be relatively easy to do. PM objectives aren't often brought up in interview (in my experience) but if you are offered a post, this could form part of a discussion with your new HoD/HT: I can't see why they would make you suffer for your current school's failings?

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Two points that regular vistors to this forum will have seen before:

1. You must look at your school's pay policy to see if not having targets affects progression. If it does, then you need to get colleagues (and union?) involved and demand some.

2. If you start at another school in September, then all this is irrelevant - your new school can pay you whatever they want (and agree with you) and it does not depend on your current salary or targets. Indeed, many schools do not do appraisals until September, when exam results are out.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

6. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

In my experience outside of teaching, I would generally expect people to set their own targets and bring them to appraisal to be discussed and agreed, but this is only when not linked to pay. If linked to pay then targets are given and as a manger I would explain why they were reasonable, whether I had set them or not ie company policy. Ive also been in a situation where my boss has given me a lip service appraisal, in that case I used the business plan (maybe the SEF), to write smart targets which demonstrated my contribution to the overall outcomes. Ive never had an issue going to a manager to say this is what I think I need to concentrate on in the next 12 months, does this fit with your expectations. But the key point is link to pay.

7. Department_feeder

Department_feeder New commenter

Thanks for the advice. At the moment, performance management doesn't really seem to happen. We have had one learning walk so far with vague feedback so I am trying to keep as much evidence of good stuff I'm doing!

Now I think about it, I can see that it shouldn't have too much of a bearing on a new school - this school certainly awarded my pay without any consideration for whether or not I would meet my targets.

It's just all frustrating when I know that it should be happening! I also feel like it's part of the process of developing as a teacher - I'd like to sit down with someone and discuss goals and aspirations but nobody could give two hoots!