1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No appointment

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by munchies11, Sep 28, 2015.

1. munchies11

munchies11 New commenter

Attended a headship interview where no-one was appointed so I'm feeling incredibly disheartened. Waiting for feedback, but wanted to know if this has happened to anyone else and if so, were you successful elsewhere?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That is really the MOST disappointing outcome of all. I feel really sorry for you.

But look at it from the other perspective: this was not the right school for you, so it was lucky that they decided not to appoint you.

Because it's not just them choosing who is right for them, the school has to be right for you too.

And as for your question, Yes, it happened to me. One of my earliest applications when I was a fresh-faced young woman. The institution (it was a Training College for B.Ed) was subsequently taken over by the University where I did get a job, and I then went in as a manager to the erstwhile college to sort things out. . . the person who as HoD had turned me down was several layers below me.

Sort of revenge, I suppose!

So the advice here is:

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm delighted to see how easy it is to insert a video in nu-TES!

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Now Theo, you've been warned before about shamelessly promoting yourself by putting film of you in your younger days on here!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

6. munchies11

munchies11 New commenter

Thank you - it's reassuring to know I'm not the only one. I shall lick my wounds in private and then pick myself up again!

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Excellent! And have some:

[​IMG]

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I have to say the interview I attended where there was 'no appointment' was by far the most disappointing. If I'd been beaten by a better candidate I felt that would have been some compensation, as I think the 3 people at that 'final interview' (we'd had 2 previous interviews to make it that far) all felt that it was effectively 'none of you are any good' type reply. So I do feel for you.
    Hwever as others have said you need to put it behind you and move forward with future applications, believing that perhaps this wasn't the right post or you. There will be others and certainly for a headship you need to feel all those on the appointing board are solidly behind you.
    Theo's posted consolation chocolate so here's my contribution
    [​IMG]

9. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Yes, it happened to me too. On my second and third interviews for headship no-one was appointed. However, I was successful on my fourth interview.

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

There you are then!

And judging by your recent Ofsted Report, @digoryvenn , which spoke of your leadership in glowing terms, then schools 2 and 3 most certainly lost out!

So @munchies11 shouldn't feel too bad about it.

11. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Congratulations and well done @digoryvenn. I'm sure your staff are pleased the other schools 'lost out'!

12. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Thank you. The other schools were not right for me neither was I right for them! However, I love the school I am in now.:D

So keep going munchies!

midnight_angel likes this.