1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No A-level experience

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by yozza, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Ive finally had enough, and i am going to tell work that i will be applying to work abroad.I'm in my 4th year as a science teacher in a comp in England, and I am an assistant head of house ( only just, which im sure wont go down too well).
    My question is this, we dont have a 6th form, and as such i dont have any experience, apart from on my PGCE, of teaching A level. How much will this affect applications abroad?
    i know it would count against me heavily here, but is it more relaxed abroad? Should i concentrate on trying to find non A level teaching jobs first, or is it still worth a go at applying? And, how many non A-level teaching jobs are there at internatioonal school?

Thanks

2. and let me ask another question while im at it.

do you have a PGCE certificate? im sure i never got one? maybe i did.....

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

A science teacher? That's good ( preferably physics or chemistry )
    Can teach General Science? Even better.
    No A Level experience? Not good, as most schools want someone who can teach to that level. Give it a shot anyway.
    No PGCE certificate? Big problem as you will need proof of qualifications. Get in touch with your uni and get a replacement.
    Essentially you will have to apply to schools as an A Level teacher. What they may do is just give you one A Level class to begin with to see if you can cope. If it goes well then you will be fine.
    Good luck.

4. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

If I recall, there's currently a position for a maths/science teacher being advertised in Munich, and I get the impression that the teaching is only up to Y11, so this might suit you perfectly. Munich is somewhere I would love to live, but I'm absolutely insistent on teaching Y12/Y13 maths - and preferably only maths.

5. Appreciate the replies.

You'll be delighted to know that i have found my PGCE certificate!....