1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nirvana and New Kids on the Block No More Games Tour 1991 Wembley early December

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Dudess, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Right, I understand if you want to change your username before you post, but I could really really do with some support on this.

It came to my attention this week that Nirvana supported New Kids on this tour, but, funnily enough, no one believes me. The Internet not having really taken off then I'm not entirely sure if there'll be articles on this, but I'll go for a spot of Oral History if anyone can corroborate.

Thank youuuuuuuu.

2. Right, I understand if you want to change your username before you post, but I could really really do with some support on this.

It came to my attention this week that Nirvana supported New Kids on this tour, but, funnily enough, no one believes me. The Internet not having really taken off then I'm not entirely sure if there'll be articles on this, but I'll go for a spot of Oral History if anyone can corroborate.

Thank youuuuuuuu.

3. Oh my God. I will wet myself if that's true. I'm off to have a nose now.

4. Hahahahah, cheers Valley :D

5. Ok, we're narrowing down people.

The dates for New Kids at Wembley were 9th/10th December, and they were in Manchester 2/3rd December.

(I have great sources)

And I was at the Mancester one - 2nd where Marky Mark was beaten up in or nearby a Pizza Hut and so couldn't support during the tour (or chickened out, you never know, he is after all a better actor than a Boy Bander).

So am thinking that the Smon Cowell-esque mogul of Harvey Goldsmith probably assumed that because there was a good teen audience desperate for a support act ahem why not try out Nirvana, a band with a new single out and just successfully launched in the US. Just need to find out where Nirvana were on 9th/10th Decemeber.

6. Tee hee- just trying to assist with search and this thread appears on google. Talk about going round in circles.Guess that must mean there aren't many site combining those search terms. I went on that tour but cannot for the life of me remember anything except wetting myself in anticipation of Jordan Knight. How odd that Nirvana took over from them in my heart just a short while later.

7. Heheh, hiya angelita, welcome. I was a Joey lass meself :D

Ta for helping with the search. It's one of those things that's going to bug me, lol. Might have to pop down to my library this weekend, what my local librarians don't know is minimal.

8. I will ask a friend who also saw that tour though she has the memory of an elephant for the finer details of celebrity and if she knew, that would DEFINITELY have been mentioned! can you imagine them all back stage? Ha!

9. Hehehheh, brilliant stuff.

Ever heard of a Japanese punk band called Shonen Knife? Apparently Nirvana were massive fans and it looks like they supported Nirvana a lot. And Shonen Knife were in Maida Vale on 8 December 1991 recording some BBC Radio sessions.

AND another Japanese songstress, Seiko, had that duet with Donnie Wahlberg in 1990. I'm seeing links, not coincidences, but the laces are a bit slippy.

I think it's time I had a little break from googling and stare at Matt Perry for an hour.

10. I remember Shonen Knife. I think I may have seen them in the early 90s?

11. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I never really liked New Kids, but my best mate in Year 7 was really into them, and I remember her going to see them in concert. It probably would've been about then. Think we were y8 in Dec 91.
    Shame I've lost touch with her or i'd ask her...

12. Chica.....are you on Friends Reunited??? :D

13. Ok- you've really got me into this now! I've joined a fan site and asked the question! Doesn't look a very popular one so i may have to wait but i'll keep you posted! Cannot believe it!

14. Hehehe, sweet. Ahem. I joined one too :D It's how I found out about the dates being 9th/10th. Which one you on? I'm on the joey mcintyre site.

15. hee hee- saddos unite. Am on NKOTB! Original.

16. Ok- still on the case! Here are some replies i've had. It isn't looking good!

Not that I know of! They certainly weren't at the show I was at. Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch did some of the shows but they went back to the USA just before the show I went to. I can't remember the name of the group we did have but they were black so it certainly wasn't Nirvana lol. I'll ask some of my friends!

I guess it's just a rumour. I cannot believe that a rock band supported a "boyband" on tour!

lol that would've been a must see! maybe a jam session at the end with kurt cobain covering cover girl while nkotb do smells like teen spirit. lol

17. sadly, i was there.
    And I also lked nirvana - don't remember them being there. Sorry.

18. I always thought it was Nirvana playing on the 10th, but it now seems impossible. Does anyone have any memory of it?

19. Hello, I am new to this forum, but I remember going to the NKOTB concert and just like you I am adamant that Nirvarna were the support at Wembley... It was loud and went down like a lead balloon of or the most part !!

carlaclarke2 likes this.
  20. I was there aged 16 and have always believed it to be true. I hadn't heard of them before.

I didn't know what had hit me I just loved them so much and spent the next few weeks trying to get a copy of Nevermind which had sold out everywhere.

No one ever believes me