1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nipple blister

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by ellesabe, Mar 6, 2011.

1. I just accidentally posted this on Opinion.. [​IMG] whoops! I'm thinking that I will probably get more sensible responses from you lot...
    My daughter is 14 weeks old and we have never had any problems with breastfeeding but I suddenly have a random blister on the end of one of my nipples!
    I have done a bit of research and it's not a milk blister as it's clear, not white. I don't think it's mastitis or a blocked duct as there is no swelling or redness anywhere else on my breast. It looks like the type of blister you get when your shoes rub so I think it's just a sucking blister but I'm a bit baffled as to why it has suddenly appeared as her latch has always been fine and we are not doing anything different.
    What should I do? Keep feeding her from it? Go to the doctor? Start putting lansinoh cream on it again? Ignore it and hope it goes away?
    Any ideas??
    Elle x

2. Oh yikes! I went to look on Opinion to see what others there had said!!
    I've had thrush and mastitis during first 4-6 wks although I don't remember seeing any white blisters with mastitis but my nipples were so so sore and bleeding that I don't think I studied the breasts/brown nipple area to be honest!
    Does it hurt? If it does I would go to your GP. If not it might be worth popping into your HV/Baby Clinic and asking there? Are they midwives who are local i.e. a local maternity unit you can pop into rather than a busy hospital maternity ward?!
    If your HV isn't very good or sometimes is a bit vague with answers (some of ours are a bit like that!), I would just go straight to your GP!
    good luck x

3. baileyblade

baileyblade New commenter

I used to suffer from these every 2-3 months whilst breastfeeding my little one, and whilst training to become a peer supporter, I received alot more advice than I received from my dr and health visitor. As previous posters have said - just ensure your baby is latched on correctly and don't allow him/her to get lazy with it. Mine used to be really painful, so maybe try a different position so that your babys suck isn't concentrated on the blister as much. I also used to allow my little girl to always start feeding on this side (while her suckling was stronger) and hopefully would try and clear the blister (plus I wasn't sat dreading her feeding from the painful side). I also used to put Lansinoh on.

Hope this makes sense and that you sort it soon. The main thing is to carry on - you're doing a fantastic job.
    x