1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nintendo DS

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by uxbridge_gal2, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Hello,

I am a trainee teacher on the PGCE course and I have chosen to incorporate the Nintendo DS in one of my lessons in order to support a child who has English as an Additional Language and also has mild Special Educational Needs. This child struggles in maths and I have used the DS with him, using the many maths games available to support his learning.

Now I was wondering if there are any advanced features of the DS?

As part of my research I need to be able to show progression using his ICT skills, this was first shown by him using the DS for the first time having never used one before and now actually to be able to competently use a DS at the end of a session. So in order to show progression of his ICT skills are there any features which could be utilised? I am aware of the chat feature between other DS and being able to connect with other DS users within the vicinity would be an option, but is there anything else, something maybe more advanced which could show this progression?

Thank you in advance!

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Hello Uxbridge. Could you specify the child's age and what it is, precisely, that you're trying to achieve? Are you working with them to improve their English, their maths or their ICT, or are you using them as a participant in the research that you mention? I know that some providers offer MA modules within their programmes so that might explain the research on a PGCE course but I suggest, given that you're working with an SEN student, that you be very clear about what you're attempting and then discuss this with your PGCE subject leader. It may be that you've become a bit sidetracked.

3. If you're looking at ICT skills, is a DS really the best hardware to use?
    Given your objectives (ICT first, maths second) how about using a smart phone to solve some functional problems involving time and money that the child couldn't be expected to solve mentally but will come across later on, say as a new year 7?

4. Thank you brookes, that's really helpful. I may make my "next progression step" the introduction of the ipad as I believe you can get a lot more apps for it...

Thank you again!

5. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Hello Uxbridge. Leaving the wider issue aside, I abhor the P's for ICT; they smack too much of operant conditioning and Fordism to sit well with me. Pragmatically, don't worry about "advanced features", you can get your student through the P's with nice, uncharismatic kit. A solid record of evidence is what you need but what the student needs is to work the P's with kit as near to quotidian as possible.

Ignore the teaching twitterati. Shun name brands. Talk to your course bosses. Ditch the idea of research during your PGCE. Don't mistake "innovation" as hard work. Remember your responsibility to your students because although you will move on quickly, the time you spend with them now will have significance for them long afterwards.