1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Niki Lauda RIP

Discussion in 'Personal' started by foxtail3, May 21, 2019.

1. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Mr F is a Formula 1 and motorsport fan. A sad day.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Brave Man

les25paul and Sally006 like this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Sad day indeed. 70 is quite young these days but at least better than it might have been after that crash.

4. theselofane

theselofane Occasional commenter

I remember walking past him on Parker's Piece in 1984. A very attractive man indeed. Sad news.

5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Sad to see this, seems he had a lung transplant last year and his lungs were damaged in the crash, so it still got him in the end even though he survived another few decades.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I met him at once, nice guy.

7. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I didn’t write this but it is very apt.

I'd like to imagine James Hunt is standing between a Ferrari and Mclaren, helmet in hand, welcoming Niki and just saying 'you took your time'

RIP Niki

8. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

What a brave [or, some would say, reckless] man. Does anyone remember the documenatry about the rivalry between Lauda and Hunt? It was fascinating. Actually, if you saw it you'll have remembered it. That season, drivers had a one in eleven chance of being killed in an accident.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes . A remarkable man in so many ways.
    A loss

Jesmond12, les25paul and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Different generation and type of sportsman - totally committed to the cause.

It is strange to think that what he was doing (coming back whatever the cost) back then was seen as standard behaviour, whereas today not only would he be seen as mad it is also unlikely he would ever be allowed back in a Fiat Punto, let alone a F1 car.

It was, as said above, a very different F1 back then and yes, very dangerous indeed.

Perhaps that was also the drug, the ultimate high of every time knocking on the doors of death and trying to back of just enough not to go through, that had Lauda et al going for it in races and cars that we just never will see again.

les25paul and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

He was so brave. 70 is no age but it could have been much younger.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  12. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Niki Lauda and Barry Sheen were my two sporting heroes. The bravery they both exhibited to come back to racing after such terrible accidents I found awe-inspiring.

Somehow the softies that kicked a ball around a field just didn't cut it with me compared to them.

RIP (to both of them)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Whilst we have to admire their bravery at overcoming the horrendous accidents they sufferered by having another go, don't we also have to be aware of the idiocy of trying to do something that nearly killed you again?

Niki Lauda's skill as a driver and bravery at having another go, will only be remembered by those who were aware of the races he drove in. Historians will only record him as an individual who was cremated twice. Facial recognition software will match images of the Invisible Man with Niki Lauda waring a baseball cap on top of the bandages and future students will conclude that Invisible Man was pretty cool for the era.

What chance is there of bringing sanity to the world, if we put driving failures on a pedastal for others to do more spectacularly?

Why on earth would anyone want to see a Niki Lauda impersonationist in the rear view mirror, or any racing driver copy cat trying his best to overtake on a busy motorway, just to feel like they could share in an inane sport if they drive like maniacs?

14. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I posted this on to someone who replied
    I reckon with the rivalry those two had, Hunt would have handed him the helmet and said “See I even beat you here” !

bombaysapphire and Jesmond12 like this.
  15. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I knew both of them.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

A really unpleasant post.

17. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I agree. And quite unnecessary.

18. Jesmond12