1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nighttime routine ruined by illness - any tips?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Fleur ;-), Jan 30, 2011.

1. LO has been really ill since Tues with a chest infection [​IMG] He has been completely out of routine, on Friday he napped practically all day! He went through a couple of days of hardly drinking any milk too, and was being sick if we tried to feed him solids. At night he has been waking up crying, he's been having extra night feeds which is to be expected. However, he's on the mend now, not totally better, but last night he still woke at 11 till 12, then fed at 1, then woke and fed again at 3, then woke at 5 but refused a feed, then slep in our bed till 7. Previously before the illness he had been waking only once around 4 or 5, i was getting optimistic for him sleeping through the night in the near future!
    Do you think he'll just settle back into his old routine in time, with no intervention from us? Has anyone get any tips or experience of coping with routine changes like this? It's hard work going back to all these night wakings, esp now i'm back at work! Thanks

2. LO has been really ill since Tues with a chest infection [​IMG] He has been completely out of routine, on Friday he napped practically all day! He went through a couple of days of hardly drinking any milk too, and was being sick if we tried to feed him solids. At night he has been waking up crying, he's been having extra night feeds which is to be expected. However, he's on the mend now, not totally better, but last night he still woke at 11 till 12, then fed at 1, then woke and fed again at 3, then woke at 5 but refused a feed, then slep in our bed till 7. Previously before the illness he had been waking only once around 4 or 5, i was getting optimistic for him sleeping through the night in the near future!
    Do you think he'll just settle back into his old routine in time, with no intervention from us? Has anyone get any tips or experience of coping with routine changes like this? It's hard work going back to all these night wakings, esp now i'm back at work! Thanks

3. We had a very disturbed time of it when we got back from America- she was severely jetlagged and we were resorting to just bringing her downstairs as she just wasn't tired. Also her milk/food patterns were all over the place too. Then one night i insisted it couldn't go on and just did pick up/put down for hours on end. Literally the next night she was back to her normal routine! I'm not sure if my persistence that one night helped overly; i actually think she probably would have just gone back to normal in a few days if we'd just kept up the normal routine, and going back to work really helped in that she had to get up at the same time each morning which helped regulate her body clock. Good luck!

4. Oh, Fleur
    I am going thru exactly the same as you right now with my 2 and a half year old!
    I've found that she does go back to her normal sleeping routine once she's all better again.
    Try and rest when you can xx

5. Poor LO! Hope they get better soon.

Illness does really affect them. What I tend to go is go with the flow while being ill, really hard and tiring but its what they need. When they are better, start getting tougher and get them back to their old routine. Normally takes a couple of days but doesn't take long as they love being in routines. I normally have to sit by her cot and let her scream and she'll eventaully gets soothed by my presence. but you have to do what is right for you guys

6. I can empathise Fleur as our LO has just had slapped cheek virus followed by a stinker of a cold which has left him with a chest infection :(( He had over a week of being very hit and miss with his solids and sleeping longer and at different times during the day as well as 3 or 4 nights where he would keep waking coughing and crying and be very unsettled.....he's now on the mend and has fallen back into his own routine pretty quickly so I would go with the flow and once they're really feeling better I'm sure it'll all slot back into place.....hope LO is better soon x