1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

nightmares

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by eljaytee, Mar 15, 2011.

1. My 2.5 yr old has recently been having increasingly frequent screaming sessions in the middle of the night (somewhere between 12-3 am). I think it is down to nightmares and happens 1-2 times per week for up to 2hours. Advice on how to deal with please...........

2. this sounds like night terrors
    my little brother (who is now 18) used to have night terrors. - we used to have to tie our hair up before we went into his room otherwise he would scream louder.
    my mum spoke to someone who advised her to track days/patterns related to when they happened and then anticipate them by taking him to the toilet (i.e. taking him out of a deep sleep) just before - this stopped it - he was toilet trained which meant she could do this.
    Good luck

3. Find the cause. Is the child going to nursery or somewhere else he feels frightned or unsafe. Take him away from the situation.

4. My 3 year old went through a phase of this although hers tended to be during the evening and she calmed down quicler. I stopped giving her cheese for tea, not sure whether it had anything to do with it but it seemed to stop again.

5. I've been told about the cheese thing too- none for my toddler before bed but he seems fine if he has a cheese sandwich at lunchtime.