1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nightmare scenario

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by mrjack, Feb 6, 2016.

1. mrjack

mrjack Occasional commenter

I'm hoping someone can help me please. My goal was to find employment abroad, trouble is I'm in a right pickle at the moment, I was redeployed after a school closure to a post which was not suitable for me but because of lack of opportunities in the area I tried to make it work, it has turned sour and in order to avoid paying me redundancy ( huge budget cuts for the school ) the school has head has concocted some damming allegations which are to be investigated. They have really gone for the jugular and the wording of the allegations makes me look really bad but they are actually really minor things blown out of all proportion. Anyway the Union is trying to reach a compromise agreement or voluntary redundancy but that would leave me with a poor or no reference. I have been seeking international employment for a while and I can't see how I'm going to get around this reference situation there are other things which I cannot go into here because I don't want to make it clear whom I am but I have been treated so unfairly since I have been in the new school, on my first day they told me they did not have a clue what they were going to do with me and I sat in a room on my own for a term, my post has no structure, direction or leadership and I have been covering at least three lessons a day which I was not contracted to do. I have been teaching for nearly twenty years and I cannot believe it has come to this. What can I do ?

2. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Sorry to hear that things have not worked out. A settlement agreement can and should include an agreed reference (i.e. with the contents agreed by both sides). You union should be opushing hard for the inclusion of this as a condition.

3. mrjack

My treatment has been nothing short of disgraceful, my face never fit from day one and I was always made to feel unwanted / surplus to requirements, I was also having to work in my second language ( where my level of proficiency was very limited and made everything a constant struggle and challenge, meetings, briefing and all written communication very difficult, not to mention the delivery of lessons) and now to avoid paying me my entitlement / redundancy they have concocted these pathetic allegations to make me look incompetent and try and sack me.
    Thanks for your response by the way.

576 likes this.
  4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am sorry that you are in such a difficult position.

As @GLsghost says, your Union should be negotiating for a reference for you.

You might find it helpful to read this:

Settlement Agreements

Best wishes

5. mrjack

Thanks for your response TheoGriff

6. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

In a funny way you are in a strong position to get some kind of deal. The new school do not want you, fine, they have concocted some charge which they feel they need to investigate to try and force you to leave without paying you anything. If these charges are minor as you state then stick it out and work with your union - as GLsghost has said the reference will be agreed between the both of you.

7. mrjack

The charges are minor, quite pathetic infact, I don't want to say to much on here for obvious reasons but mountains out of mole hills would come somewhere close to it. The redundancy figure would have been quite substantial, between £12,000 - £17,000.
    It's disgraceful that schools can get away with doing this to people.

8. mrjack

Thanks by the way

9. applecrumblebumble

Academy or LA and how long with previous school?

10. mrjack

LA, with this school for four years, previous school five years.

11. applecrumblebumble

Deal sounds reasonable but go for the upper end.

12. mrjack

If I take the Vol Redundancy I wont have a reference though. Anyone else been in a similar situation ?

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Your union should negotiate a reference for you.

Best wishes

14. mrjack

Update:-
    Just incase anybody is in a similar situation.
    The school refused to provide references for one county so I was actually barred from working in two counties. It took me nearly 18 months to get a retraction and a fair reference from the school.
    In the meantime I had signed with an agency, started getting work around October, got a break in a Localish school but told them I would not work through the agency and was paid to scale and have been working constantly since Christmas, the current Head things I'm really good and has thanked me about five times since xmas for my hard work. I will now have a glowing reference and potentially a full time permanent contract for September.
    So if your in a dark place like I was last year, thinking there was no way out, that your career was over, that they had done you over like a kipper,keep the faith, never give up, put pressure on your union, stand and fight your corner, make a nusiance of yourself, get back on the horse and prove yourself.
    Never give up !

Orchid2457 and blueskydreaming like this.