1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

nightmare journey to supply job!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by unicorn1, Mar 11, 2011.

1. I have just been posted on a long term supply assignment which I'm pleased about because it's been quiet recently. The only problem is that the school is 30 miles away and I don't drive so I'm going to have to leave the house at about 6am to get the various connections to arrive at 8am. Anyone else managed with such a journey to supply schools? Think I will stock up on sleep this weekend!

2. I had a colleague who commuted 4-5 hours every day, two to work and two home, in a full time teaching post, every day, every term. He didn't complain even once about this.

3. In these days of petrol costing nearly £6 per gallon, which even in a frugal car means something in the region of 15p per mile, you have to weigh up the cost of travel to a school, as well as the time involved, in the 'is it worth it?' calculation. You hear about some London schools, with admittedly limited parking space, asking supply teachers to find alternative parking arrangements, which with parking fees, can make the calculation even harder to justify, especially if the you only find out about the parking situation when you arrive.
    Using public transport, such as the tube in London, can be very expensive when you are forced to travel during the rush hour period, when fares are nearly doubled. If you only have a half-day or are working as a CS, then £10 - 15 out of £45 - 50 is quite a slice.