1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

night time exams

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by alexjp, May 8, 2012.

1. I have a growing sense of irritation with pearson/edexcel. The latest act to annoy me is to change the exam times to avoid cheating. This is a sound reason but annoying as all the reaI cheating is done by dubious exam centres which are never checked up on...I was wondering whether they have done this globally. In Sri Lanka for example the pm exams don't start until 6.30pm. I am guessing in the far east exams will not start until 10pm or even later which would clearly be a disadvantage to students. Or is this only applicable in the sub-continent?

2. I have a growing sense of irritation with pearson/edexcel. The latest act to annoy me is to change the exam times to avoid cheating. This is a sound reason but annoying as all the reaI cheating is done by dubious exam centres which are never checked up on...I was wondering whether they have done this globally. In Sri Lanka for example the pm exams don't start until 6.30pm. I am guessing in the far east exams will not start until 10pm or even later which would clearly be a disadvantage to students. Or is this only applicable in the sub-continent?

3. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Given the way they set their biological clocks, I think many of our students and in particular those from the host country would welcome a 2200 start which would find them at their most alert, energetic and creative.
    In frequent years I've been told several times by older students that "it's been proved" or "research has shown" or "doctors state" (all these phrases mean "seen it somewhere on the net") that 0830 to 1130, when at least half the examinations are scheduled, is a time of day at which a health-conscious adolescent should be in bed.

4. Possibly true though what about the poor staff that have to invigilate.........or students that travel an hour to get to school....

5. That's bad. For us pm exams start at 6.30pm so often the students don't finish until 8.30pm. As we do multiple exam boards some very unfortunate students don't finish until just before midnight due to clashes. Most of our students come by public bus which stop running after 8pm so will have huge issues getting home. Some live a long way away. We are a fairly rural school and students and staff are annoyed! I was just wondering if schools in other countries have the same problem.It occurs to me that if the time extension is applied globally there will be major issues the further east you go!

6. miketribe

miketribe Occasional commenter

The IB does it by setting two exams -- Time Zone 1 and Time Zone 2. I'm sure the inventive student could still cheat, but it's better than starting an exam at 10 o'clock at night!

7. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

CIE have 4 time zones.

The papers used to have slight vRIATIONS. tHIS YEAR THEY ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FOR EACH zONE

8. Is your cat helping you to type?

sabrinakat likes this.
  9. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Careful. Bibbler's moggy is very quick on the paw. I'll bet he's already reported your catacaustic comments.

10. I am unable to think of a witty repost which doesn't involve reference to Mrs Slocome's pet.

11. fivesmaster

fivesmaster New commenter

Sorry but surely this is all irrelevant; I think Edexcel say that if parents are willing to sign to say their child has had no access to internet or other communication device for the specified period of time then they are happy to let them come in at a time of the school's choosing???? therefore no need for midnight exams?

12. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

They do - to a certain extent. It is called timezone cheating.
    It reached an apogee about two years ago ( in my opinion ), but it appears that some of the students in the Far East have started feeding wrong information, as they have finally realised that the worse other students do, the better their results are.
    In my subject ( Maths ) it barely makes a difference as the exam covers all of the material and knowing roughly what a question is about is only slightly better than knowing that there is a question in the first place.
    It does make a massive difference in subjects such as economics and history I have heard.

13. I agree- what rubbish timings.

Here in the Maldives which is at GMT+5/BST+4, so only half an hour behind you, our afternoon exams are at 4pm and our morning exams are at 11am.

Luckily we only have Edexcel exams (and a couple of local ones) so no horrible clashes