1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Night sky

Discussion in 'Personal' started by josienig, Feb 24, 2016.

1. josienig

josienig Star commenter

What a beautiful sight the sky is tonight..the moon, Jupiter and the beautiful stars.

cissy3 likes this.
  2. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

Bah, humbug! Still several hours for useful record-keeping before you have your breakfast crust. Back to work, you, or you'll be on competency procedures!

3. josienig

josienig Star commenter

I only glimpsed it whilst scurrying to get a new quill :(

cissy3 and delnon like this.
  4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Space, the final frontier..

cissy3 likes this.
  5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I thought that you are one of the feckless from the Irish Republic and didn't have to bother with big data. Were you not out dancing in the moonlight?

josienig likes this.
  6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

In London you can never see much because of the artificial lights. I always love my first night back in Oz when the grandboys remind me to go outside and look up to see the Southern Cross.

7. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

8. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

We can see Orion very clearly from our back garden. There were no clouds last night - it really was beautiful. There's something about stars, when I can see them properly, that really take my breath away.
    When I lived in a small village in the Highlands, the view of the stars was truly something else due to lack of light pollution. Even where I am now, with relatively low LP, we don't see half the number of stars. It was genuinely awe-inspiring.

sparkleghirl, cissy3, Eureka! and 2 others like this.
  9. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

I think I will start collecting Gall & Inglis astronomy books. I have one or two but I always get a bit excited when I see one. Here's a beautiful deep deep blue star map from their "Popular Star Atlas". I persuaded a friend to part with one for 50p in 1973....

[​IMG]

10. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I was driving home just as the moon had risen, and it was so beautiful.

Huge, and slightly tinted with amber, almost like a 'Harvest Moon'.

Even here in the city, the stars were clear and bright.

11. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

I lived in the S hemisphere for a couple of years and liked the idea of seeing different stars. Never really got used to them going the wrong way across the sky though, and the moon being the wrong way round. And Orion upside down.

Eureka! and cissy3 like this.
  12. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

My friend sent me a picture that he took over Greenwich - beautiful moon and Jupiter surrounded by its four moons. Stunning - just need to work out how to post it.

racroesus likes this.
  13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I love the night sky... I'm going the Lake District in a few weeks and I'll be making every effort to appreciate it... even if sloshed.

BUT..

I'm a wuss... it's too cold on these crisp winter nights! Brrrrr

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

[​IMG]
    Taken from my back garden on a clear night. ISO 800, 30 seconds, with aperture as wide open as possible (lowest f number). Camera fixed tight to solid object. The M45 Pleiades cluster (or Seven Sisters) is visible top right, and the Manchester neon nebula is visible bottom left. Easy peasy - give it a go sometime.

racroesus and lanokia like this.
  15. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

One of the greatest losses in my recent life is the permanent loss of the ability to enjoy the night sky. :(

These things happen though

16. josienig

josienig Star commenter

I only said that to appease @delnon ;)

racroesus likes this.
  17. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

You don't have to appease me, josienig; I was only assuming a Scrooge/Baker/Clarke/Patten/Blunkett/Kelly/Gove/Morgan* persona.

*I've forgotten the rest, mercifully.

josienig likes this.
  18. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It's very clear here too. I was looking at it just now and thought to myself, they must have had vivid imaginations those ancients.

I mean, the stars just sit there night after night doing sod all, yet they turned them in gods and wove fantastic stories around them. It must have been a bit like watching a mime artist someone told you was good, but couldn't understand yourself what was supposed to be going on.

coffeekid likes this.