1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nigeria Chibok girls: Eighty-two freed by Boko Haram

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, May 7, 2017.

1. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

I remember when this happened in 2014, I was totally shocked, it was on the news for a while then it disappeared so I lost track of it. Thankfully, negotiations have been going on behind the scenes.

How will these girls ever recover; regain their lives? Their childhood has gone forever! I cry when I think of what they have been through, what their parents and relatives have been going through.

I saw a picture of the girls and they look shell shocked, lost with a faraway expression in their eyes (my interpretation).

I have often been critical of how quickly we offer counselling in the UK when large scale tragedies happen, but in this instance, I have never felt the need for instant emotional support as I do now and I hope these girls will get it.

2. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I have followed the story of these girls. Dreadful and inhuman treatment doled out with no mercy. Thank goodness these girls have been released but there are still almost 100 to be freed.

3. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

I've followed it it too and what has depressed me most (not trying to suggest my wrath has anything commensurate with what those girls and their parents suffer): there seems to be some degree of acceptance amongst the captured girls. Some girls seem to feel Chosen. I get it. Anyone my age brung up in a convent would geddit.
    Extrapoate.

4. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I think thatn self preservation is an extremely strong emotion, Calpurnia.

5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

They will have been. The top dogs get the first pickings.We take it for granted in our culture that we have a choice in who we date, but in other cultures neither party does. It's a matter of barter.

The kids that Gary Glitter invited to his dressing room went there willingly too.

6. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

i get that. It also shows a different perspective on how different societies respond. I was just so taken with the scene of the girls sitting, dry eyed at the president's welcome. I think it would have been a totally different scene in England. I jsut want to hug them a;ll; but who am I to impose my western emotional values on them?