1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nigel Farage says it's better to risk a second referendum than agree to Theresa May's Brexit vote

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JL48, Jan 24, 2019.

1. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

2. Timothy_Blue

Timothy_Blue Lead commenter

lexus300 likes this.
  3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

lexus300 and nomad like this.
  4. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

NF is not an MP yet;)

5. burajda

burajda Star commenter

6. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

and it goes on and on and on and on and on.............................................................................................

7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

True enough, and when he's Prime Minister I expect he could try to legislate for another referendum.

8. Timothy_Blue

Unless it was a narrow victory for Remain.

nizebaby likes this.
  9. Timothy_Blue

And Ariston:)

mathsmutt and lexus300 like this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

And if Remain had won would you consider Farage's calls for a 2nd referendum legitimate?

Timothy_Blue and lexus300 like this.
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

On this second referendum I'm reminded of Sturgeon and the SNO pushing the idea of a 2nd referendum just after the 2014 vote. After the 2015 election they thought there was a chance they could swing it after storming Scotland.

And people said ''we've had a vote, the people spoke, wait a generation''...

Odd how many of those same people have now switched...

lexus300 likes this.
  12. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

If the result had been as close, but the other way, I would have expected UKIP and other Leavers to have considered that a massive victory, yes. Would I have expected them to push for another referendum? Yes. Do I think that UKIP would have gained more seats in parliament, and would Farage have finally got into Parliament? -Probably. Do I think that the issue would have gone away for a generation? Not at all.

Narrow referendum results rarely satisfy anyone, and certainly don't settle any debates.

13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

The problem with binary (or ternary) referendums is that someone always has to lose. If you vote in a referendum you sign the contract to abide by the result. To do otherwise is hypocrisy.

14. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

A little simplistic, to say the least.

But that sums up most Brexiter arguments.

monicabilongame likes this.
  15. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

We should never have had a referendum in the first place.

16. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I think it's a shame he didn't get elected at his first attempt. All he really wanted was to be able to prop up the Member's bar so he could enjoy cheap booze and to be able to smoke indoors. If people had had the common sense to elect him, we'd have never heard another peep out of him again.

17. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Yes indeed, Brexiters believe in democratic choice. That choice was made in 2016.

18. burajda

burajda Star commenter

You love it lexus............:)

lexus300 and JL48 like this.
  19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

20. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Funnily enough, my guess is that there will be another vote. Next year. As is suggested in the title of the award, "TV's presenter of the year".

There will have been nearly 3 years since the referendum, so if "TV's presenter of the year" is synonymous with the EU referendum, we should be due at least 2 more by now! Or maybe it isn't synonymous, and Brexiters are chatting utter nonsense again . . .