1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nicola Sturgeon vows to hold second Scottish independence referendum as early as next year

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Yoda-, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

2. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Yes. That's exactly the reason. Well done.

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Lead commenter

I see the spokesperson for the EU Commission has just re-affirmed that an independent Scotland would not be able to stay in the EU after the EU has left: it would have to apply to join as an independent country.

Sturgeon's proposed timing also seems very odd - it would be far too early to see the longer term effects of whatever exit deal is reached. They are unlikely to be apparent until well into the 2020s.

nomad and Jesmond12 like this.
  4. burajda

burajda Established commenter

Yes it does.
    Sturgeon and the rest of us may not know what kind of exit deal will be in place between the UK and the EU until 2019.

wanet and Yoda- like this.
  5. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Have you seen the proposed timing?

6. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Occasional commenter

haha never has your Avatar seemed more apt ;)

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Best of luck to them...

Every Unionist arguments has been shattered by the Brexit campaign. Should be interesting...

8. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

I don't think Nicola cares what kind of BREXIT deal there is at all. It's independence no matter what, she wants. It also helps divert the Scots from her own governments shortcomings. Education is not a glowing beacon in Scotland apparently?

Westernesse, Jesmond12 and wanet like this.
  9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Do they not have to have parliament agree to this ?.

That won't happen until after BREXIT has concluded.

10. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Don't believe the press. It's not ideal and there are problems but it is a glowing beacon of good practice compared to what I see people describing here.

I'm not sure this is news - Sturgeon has said all along that a hard Brexit would lead to a second referendum - but I welcome it nonetheless. It's important not to dress this up as Sturgeon acting alone and in self interest. She has a very strong mandate, having been elected on a manifesto which explicitly said that that any material change would lead to a new referendum.

If the government refuse it will show up the hollow nature of their commitment to "the will of the people" over Brexit and also infuriate many Scots who might not otherwise think of voting for independence. Interesting times!

11. red_observer

red_observer Established commenter

If the Scots want it why not? Seems a bit quick from the last one but if they are facing permanent Tory government then I would vote for it as well

HotskyForTrotsky and coffeekid like this.
  12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It's horrifying to think that the Scots prefer a union with mainland Europe to keeping company with the English, Welsh and Irish! OK, the English and Welsh. Oops.

Seriously though. It must be hard to exaggerate the level of discontent felt in Scotland towards "us".

Westernesse and Jesmond12 like this.
  13. red_observer

red_observer Established commenter

To the tories so I suppose by default yes

14. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

The first (web) page of the Guardian today had just about every article explaining what Brexit will mean, and were all negative. We are already seeing Banks off to Frankfurt, Car makers jumping ship, food and oil prices rising, beloved (of businesses who pay peanuts) foreign workers going home. All is gloom and doom. Ths Scots, so far as I can see (and I had a taste when living there for four years) see themselves as a nation, and why not? They see themselves as separate from an English dominated UK, and not really part of the UK except due to some archaic fact of our queen (and monarchy is irrelevant now) snuffing it "without issue" and us getting the Scottish King as the encumbent. Since then we have become more of a democracy and the monarchy went Dutch then German (and as said is irrelevant). Thus the Scots would rather have Europe than England, and I do not blame them one little bit. The hard fact is that Brexit is already damaging this UK of ours, but "you can't challenge the will of the people" except when they do, normally, all the time, in any other case.

sodalime, Flere-Imsaho and coffeekid like this.
  15. blazer

blazer Lead commenter

As far as I am concerned they can hold one every fortnight until they get the result they want as long as the Scottish taxpayer picks up the bill. However if I can have a vote in it I am happy for the rest of the UK to contribute to the cost.

16. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Well I doubt that they'd have a lot problem with that...... were it not the fact that the UK Govt have to give them permission to hold one.
    As long as that decision "lies within the gift of a UK Govt" then I think it has to be paid for by them too.
    Seems fair to me anyway.
    :D

17. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

this song goes well

18. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

Strugen for queen next.!
    Hang on my wife family line goes back to the kings and queens of scotland..can i have Mrs Oldy as a queen?

19. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

This is not why I want Scottish independence. I'm voting for more accountable government which can make decisions based on local needs. I'm voting to get rid of nuclear weapons. I'm voting for a social security system which provides a safety net for everyone without stigma or vilification of those who need it. I'm voting for an immigration policy which recognises that we need a diverse and varied population. I'm voting for baby boxes, free education and free personal care. I'm voting to stay in the EU.

I'm not voting because I feel any antipathy towards the rest of the UK. I just want different things for my country and myself.

20. Mazod

Mazod Occasional commenter

I voted no last time as I was worried about our economy. Now I'm worried about the post Brexit UK economy and really don't want to leave the EU. It has changed things for me.

Otherwise (as I almost always do) I agree with what Flere- Imshao has said above!