1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nicola Sturgeon seems to have been quite strict on Celtic and Aberdeen football clubs...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by WB, Aug 11, 2020.

1. WB

WB Star commenter

Celtic and Aberdeen have had their next two Scottish Premiership matches postponed after their players broke lockdown rules.

Good!

2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

..any more infractions and the season will be cancelled.

maggie m, WB, Morninglover and 2 others like this.
  4. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

I hear that Gianni was on the blower to Pep this very morning telling him the same thing for Lisbon.

Or NOT ?

Addendum:

As for the Premiership...and THE Football Association....

5. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

Before the news broke about Celtic and this announcement, I read that the postponement of the St Johnstone and Aberdeen game will disadvantage St Johnstone (who have done nothing wrong) rather than Aberdeen. An Aberdeen player who was suspended will be back by the new date and the team will be stronger. It was suggested that a more appropriate punishment would have been to let them play with a weakened team - which the manager apparently would have accepted. Instead, the postponement decided by politicians is likely to benefit the team being punished rather than the innocent party.

sodalime likes this.
  6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Surely an infraction that prevents a team fulfilling a fixture should result in forfeit of points?

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Apart from endorsing the actions of Sturgeon and hoping that the players concerned face the strongest punishment*, I find myself unable to give the slightest fraction of a damn.

* [Pay suspended until the end of the Covid Era, investments confiscated, cars crushed, heads shaved and the words "I am an idiot" tattooed onto their foreheads, houses burnt to the ground, and anyone who has been shielding allowed to dance on the ruins and sing comic songs.]

8. BigFrankEM

It's a long time since I followed the fitba' seriously. But....

surely a suspension is for 1, 2 or 3 matches in the competition and not for 1, 2 or 3 weeks as you suggest

LiamD and emilystrange like this.
  9. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

That seems absolutely fair to me.

10. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

He might have fulfilled the suspension against a different team / in a different fixture in the meantime.

anotherauntsally likes this.
  11. catmother

catmother Star commenter

She was not impressed with them in her daily briefing. She's given them a yellow card.

12. jonnymarr

jonnymarr Occasional commenter

Perhaps they could estimate these results pools-panel style? Teams from more affluent areas could be given extra points?

Mangleworzle, nomad, chelsea2 and 3 others like this.
  13. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

She has had a good Covid by and large. Wish she was in charge of the UK actually.

14. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Same here.

jellycowfish and red_observer like this.
  15. WB

WB Star commenter

I haven't a been a fan in the past, but I have to say she's gone up in my estimation in recent months.

nomad and red_observer like this.
  16. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Always liked her.

coffeekid, red_observer and catmother like this.
  17. BigFrankEM

Just haud yer wheesht till the story of the Salmond trial gets told !

Addendum:

In full

18. anotherauntsally

I don’t know anything about football. I just read in the press an interview with a former Aberdeen player who now manages a Fife team. I assumed he knew what he was talking about. Because the match with St Johnstone was postponed, matches with two other teams would take place before it. As I said, that decision was made before the latest announcement after the Celtic issue.

ilovesooty likes this.
  19. anotherauntsally

Yes, I think that’s what would have happened.

ilovesooty likes this.
  20. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Agreed, it's not any sort of punishment otherwise as it penalises the other team just as much. I don't suppose that is something Nicola Sturgeon has control over, that would be up to the Scottish FA who I can't imagine having the guts to penalise Celtic.

Oscillatingass likes this.